Posts by project86

Good choice! It's a very capable modern DAC that has all the bells and whistles like DSD etc, but can also give you a rich, mellow tone if you want it. I hope you enjoy.
I really like the iDAC-6 - see review here.   It's relaxed as in a smoother, less piercing treble presentation. Not terribly rolled off like some NOS DACs I've owned. I like it a lot. 
 DSD files must be purchased from somewhere like NativeDSD.com or 2L Records, etc. Tidal doesn't stream them. And you'll need USB connection as DSD doesn't really work with optical or coaxial - not enough bandwidth for it. I hear the NOS19 as being sort of relaxed on the top end, with a thicker overall sound. Perhaps not as impactful in the bass region compared to the Yulong D18, but not overly mushy either. I haven't actually heard the regular DAC 19, just the NOS 19, so...
D18 is getting old by now, not sure they still make them any longer. Still a great sound if you want something darker, warmer, more full bodied, but it is lacking some modern options if that matters to you (like USB and DSD capabilities for example).   If you want smooth for a more current DAC, you could go for the Cayin iDAC-6 which has a tube buffer and adjustable digital filters. That DAC can sound smooth and warm or neutral if you choose solid-state mode and certain...
   I sometimes use Concero HD with a pair of Adam Audio monitors. It works quite well. 
 I really enjoyed it with HD800 and LCD-3 (sorry, no LCD XC). It's great to be able to tune it as your mood changes - go solid state mode for clarity on excellent recordings, or tube mode with XBass turned on if you want a fun, less accurate presentation. 
My experience with DACs is that they make a more subtle difference than swapping out headphone amps. I think that difference can still be very worthwhile in the long run, but I also wouldn't fault somebody who spent a bunch of money on a nice DAC and feels underwhelmed by the difference (or lack of difference) they initially hear.    It doesn't help that price isn't necessarily a good indicated of quality on a DAC. Nor is popularity. Like everything else around here,...
Well I happen to think the existing concept is getting pretty close to flawless as-is... but I love the idea for easy-access panels for removable storage. SSD technology is still expensive enough in the larger sizes, that the ability to easily swap drives out would come in handy. Can't wait until big 4TB drives become affordable.   Linear power supply would be a big marketing win, if not necessarily a real-world advantage over a well-implemented switching unit (depends...
Hello all, just popping in to post a link to my review at InnerFidelity. I'm VERY impressed with what iFi has accomplished with this little thing. Put it up against some big guns from Simaudio, Auralic, Violectric, and Pass Labs, and it was not blown away by any means.... and all those amps cost more. Substantially more in some cases. iFi has a winner on their hands with this one.