or Connect

Posts by project86

Review is live:   http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/nuprime-dac-10h-digital-analog-converter-headphone-amp#q2LDouZlbrtkbrBH.97   In case anyone was waiting for it. I still can't get over how good this thing does with the HE-1000 and LCD-3. Punches way above its price for an all-in-one. The Benchmark DAC-2, for example, while an excellent DAC, is nowhere near as good with headphones.   Oh, and the preamp side of things is excellent too. I'm still using it with the...

I heard the Venere 2.5 and actually liked them better than the larger 3.0.... but then again I also liked the 1.5 better than the 2.0 which is why I bought the "cheap" model. Bigger/more expensive/more drivers is not always a guarantee of anything, especially depending on the room.   Anyway, the DAC-10 and DAC-10H use a lossless analog volume control scheme, so you can run it as high or as low as you need. I tend to use low gain mode and turn volume up, but sometimes I...
I personally think it has to do with sound sig just as much as ability to drive. I've heard a Schiit Lyr 2 do a reasonably good job, and I've heard a different Lyr 2 sound terrible, so it clearly had to do with the tubes being used along with the associated gear in each system.   The best I've heard from a reasonably affordable amp is the NuForce HA-200 set up in monoblock mode. That's $700 total for both amps and it sounds very impressive. Violectric's V200 does a...
  It's a very nice DAC with a similar sound to the original, but refined a bit. Microdetail is a bit more fleshed out, imaging is a bit more specific.... nothing drastic but definitely worthwhile. 
   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  I wasn't particularly impressed with either of those models. The Woo is attractive but seems especially overpriced given the sound.  How about a Violectric V800? With the 15% off promo still running, it comes out to under $1100. So it's competitive with the Woo and sounds better imho. Also it will sit above your V281 for a great looking stack. The only potential downside is the USB drivers have trouble with Windows 8.1 (or so I've heard, I'm sticking with Windows 7 until...
  Me too. 
They are the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 with matching stands. Not necessarily brand new, I think they came out a couple years ago, but still fairly exciting in my opinion. I've been enjoying my pair for about 6 months and they are really great for the money. 
It's funny because I see where you are coming from, and the flip side is a barrage of comments at IF calling for an even MORE rigorous, objective approach. Seems Tyll is too objective for some and too subjective for others. Oh well.   Unfortunately I won't be able to make it out there. Too many other things going on.