Posts by project86

It does seem like a relevant question. I know for example that Rob Watts ran out of room when designing Hugo, which resulted in the lack of saved settings (for input and crossfeed) every time you power it off. So increasing taps will certainly help there. Not sure where SQ tops off though.... lots to explore in the coming years, I'm sure. 
This appears to be a mild refresh of the Napa Acoustics headphone amp, which is itself a rebranded Mistral amp that's been around for a few years. Audioadvisor is big on storytelling, but I'm skeptical. Surely the OEM would have already seen the need for a 24/192 USB section to replace their old 16/48 setup. But who knows, maybe they did have 6 (or was it 7?) prototypes.
  This is a good review - although he does seem a little hung up on price, with Mirus not being quite the best he's heard because it's not the most expensive. But generally I agree with most of what he says. He references a (more expensive) tube DAC as being slightly more weighty, and if you read his review of that same DAC he called it warm and "tube-ish", so it makes sense.      A lot of DACs these days use an FPGA. What they use it for can vary though, as can the make...
  I do often hear more glare with coax input, though it can be reduced or even eliminated by using higher end transports. The YBA Design WM202 that I use now is a little better than the Cambridge 740C I was using prior. Good enough to sound enjoyable, generally speaking, where the Cambridge as transport was not something I would want to live with long term.  Not sure what you mean about lack of DIR stage. The ES9018 has it built in, just as it has its own ASRC (of sorts)...
Not sure if it matters or if anyone cares.... but I changed the title of this thread to more accurately reflect what it has become. Someone PM'd me and made the suggestion, because the original title was maybe too long to work with search. So there you have it.
  So all Sabre-based DACs sound the same, with the exception of a few expensive models? Interesting. Does that same logic apply to all DACs based around a Wolfson chip? What about Texas Instruments? Cirrus Logic?  I would have thought, as usual, it comes down to many other factors: power supply, digital receiver, output stage, system clock, and of course implementation of whatever chip is used. But it's sure easier to lump everything together isn't it?   Look, it's totally...
  Low power, or low gain/volume? Because those are very different things.  The Violectric has higher power output in single ended mode (2200mW) than the Glite (1000mW), and more voltage swing as well. That doesn't necessarily make it a better amp.... but definitely a more powerful one.  Have you played with the pregain settings? That may be causing you to have lower than optimal volume output.
  I use an Aurender X100L and it works perfectly with Invicta Mirus. I would assume that translates to Invicta (non Mirus) and N100s pairing just as well. Interestingly, the Concero products don't get on very well with the X100L, but my Mirus and the original Invicta before that are good.  Btw the recent Aurender update which added Tidal/Wimp integration are excellent! It's not perfect yet, still in beta, but already I love it. Prior to that I was streaming Tidal via...
  Yes, lots of factors go into our opinions (mine included). Some people have a special "thing" for the ESS chips, being overly positive or overly negative based on reputation. I recall similar for Wolfson not long ago - "Wolfson is always smooth" said the masses, not realizing how many other factors go into determining the final sound sig. Before that it was Burr-Brown having a certain sound no matter what. I typically dismiss anyone who thinks like that as being too...
Good questions! Let's see....   *"Warm but resolving" is difficult to define, as your version of "warm" may not be the same as mine. All I can say is that the Mirus seems (again, to my ears) like the closest approximation to live music I've encountered. The experience of real instruments played in the room with you is NOT the thin, ethereal, wispy sound we in audiophile land sometimes make it out to be. An uber detailed, analytical, sterile system (maybe with an HD800...