Posts by CDPlayer

Following up on my quest to find a replacement for my DacMagic Plus (DMP): I think I'm settled on the Beresford Bushmaster (thank you for pointing it out, SquireC!).   I auditioned Audio-gd's Reference 7.1, that was kindly recommended by the AddictedToAudio's folks, and found it a very noticeable step up from the DMP. However, at the price point of the Bushmaster I just could't pass it, and boy was I rewarded. It sure delivers in spades; and while I somewhat lament...
Thanks so much to everyone who answered. Looks like I have busy times ahead! :)   -- Dmitri
Dear all,   Wonder if anybody could help to guide a newbie here. I feel that an upgrade is probably in order for my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, but what to, is a big question. There is a nice local shop with a good selection of equipment nearby, and it would be great to know which particular items from their offering are worth paying attention to.   If somebody would care enough to have a look at what they have on offer and single out a few models worth...
  Hi Georg,   Check this post earlier in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/18960#post_8556506
  Thank you, sir! :) Considering that the piece of plex was actually a self-adhesive coat hanger that got a bit of a trimming and whatnot, too. :)   And thanks for the idea on how to pretty it up, I'll see if I can do it when I have time.   -- Dmitri
  Sure, see below, hopefully what you wanted to see is visible..   Plexi seems to be pretty much fine for the voltage - there's quite a bit of it between the pins; there's much less fibreglass between the traces on the PCB.   Speaking of which, I had to peel off a couple of layers of fibreglass off the PCB to get it to the correct thickness of around 1.2mm. If you do it - please be super-extra careful, peeling is not fun. Get your PCB fixed nice and tight and use...
Hah, I hacked me a ghetto-style adapter for my SR-001 mkII to plug them into my SRM-007tA today (ripped pins from a couple of el-cheapo XLR sockets; a small circle cut out of plex with 2.5mm holes to hold them pins in their correct places; a bunch of nice colourful wires, and a small piece of PCB cut to size with groves between traces cut by a dremel grinder), and boy, what a reward! These tiny things are very, very sweet when driven by a proper amp!   Now, if you...
  Weird - I swear I remember replying to this, but can't seem to find my answer post. :( Apologies.   I'm using SRM-007tA at the moment; finding the combo very good, but wishing for a bit more bass. There is a new solid state amp on its way to me from high-amp.de, which I am hoping will improve things.   -- Dmitri
  Thank you, looks like this is exactly the way I'm using it!
David,   Thank you, this is what I'm thinking, too. Tried to turn them the other way - doesn't feel to be very comfortable, and doesn't seem to make much difference to the sound, either...   -- Dmitri