or Connect

Posts by JadeEast

EJ can only speak the truth (curse and blessing). So believe that over my half baked comment. 
Don't think the Pro-30 ever got a conclusive improvement through mods. The integrated damper right on the driver and tight housing seemed to get pretty good performance out of them. I'd think a bit of sorbothane and little more felt behind the driver might tune the thing a wee bit to taste, but it's pretty good stock if everything is in good condition. In my mind it's the volksortho and something I'd would have loved to see a modern interpretation (or complete copy) of.
Drakkard, interesting that you've got a pair. Was it a sample? Any idea of costs at the listed MOQ of 500? Any pics? (we all love pics).    Also, of possible interest if it's not already been shared... one of the founder of Audeze is on a podcast: https://soundcloud.com/mikewalsh/alex-rosson
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Planar-magnetic-headphone-with-great-bass_60452908630.html Hmmmm...
Thanks for the impressions. I do like the Yamaha sound quite a bit. A touch more soundstage from the HP-1 would be alright. Just for the design, it's a classic. Considering the pair I have is likely 20+ years old the build (minus the now departed headband) is very good. With the darker recordings that have issues are given some rounding off on the top. Enough bass to give body to music where it's needed. Mine are a tuned a touch loose in the bottom end, but it's a nice...
Hey Vintage Orthoheads, I see there a bucketload of new Orthos out there. Don't think there's a Volkortho (Pro30 replacement) out there quite yet. Some of them look promising. Anyone who's got some experience with the Yammy and old Fostexen had a a chance to listen to the new breed of Orthos? If so, what's the opinion on the olde ones vs new? 
Nick, thanks for the lineage info on the headphone. The pads are pretty thin. Opening is 6.5 X 4 cm with a bit of a teardrop shape. Some foam cover the baffle plate to protect the driver from the ear and the world. Zero attempts at any treatment of the headphone backwave took place from what I can see. It's just empty box with the one big grilled port. A quick tape-test of the "port" (really giant hole in the back) doesn't do too much, maybe a tiny bass hump and loss of...
Not sure where else this would go, but I figure some of the thread subscribers would have some interest in a non-ortho that arrived in my mailbox today. After years of waiting, a ESS Heil air-motion Transformer headphone appeared for adoption. The phones are well designed and comfortable. Sound wise they are bass light and polite. Thankfully, these are not head tweeters as I had feared. Initial impressions are that I prefer the Yammy HP1 or AKG k340. I was thinking this...
Looking at the recable that Nick is doing. Reminds me that I've got a bunch of orthos (and an AKG340) that all need a recable job. Looking for a good source for replacement cables. Any suggestions out there?
It's usually not the grass- it's the fence.