Posts by mvw2

On a budget, the RE0 is a nice choice. However, once a person is willing to spend a little money, other options just become better. If it was sub $100, the RE0 would certainly be suggested. It's just that the budget is obviously higher, and there are a slew of other options that do better. Young Spade, my best advice would be to run through the number of big IEM shootout threads. There's several massive threads by several members. This will give you a very good...
I've found earphones to be pretty durable to this kind of stuff. I've pushed some and have listened to a lot of tone and noise tracks along with a good bit of amping and EQing. You do have to be very careful about what you're doing and listen very carefully to the mechanical limits of the driver. Not all frequency response tests are created equal. Some do emphasize certain frequency ranges, and some bass songs are sort of designed to be a punishment type test, i.e....
Typically to be good for a broad spectrum of music, the earphone needs to be quite flat (to your ears) in response. A colored earphone will be biased to the music it is geared to enhance. Lush/smooth/creamy are not good descriptors of the SE530, either Westone, or the IE8, although the IE8 is probably closer to it but with significantly more pronounced bass (fixable through EQing). There really isn't any earphone I've used in recent times that I would ever describe as...
I would also suggest EQing if available. If the frequency response is the only gripe and the drivers used in the earphone have no real problems, many times you can get largely ideal results simply through proper EQing of the earphone to your personal taste. The only problem is not everyone has a remotely decent or sometimes any EQ available. A lot of EQs on portable players are a bit too simply to really get good use from, too few bands and too large of adjustments. ...
None of the ones you listed are technically an upgrade. They are all side grades to other sound types. The right one of the bunch is the one that best fits your specific sound goals, whatever that may be.
Woohoo, my Westone UM3X just arrived in the mail. I do love these earphones and have regretted selling them about a year ago. I'll probably revise the EQ graph once I settle on a setting. It'll probably be a little different then what's up there.
Flattest to my ears, yes. Perceived response will depend on what your ears are used to. I will note that the Custom 3 sounds flatter. The lack of thickness of note of the RE252 does play into a lack of fullness in lower frequencies. The sensitivity is good, but shorter notes tend to lack some presence. The saving grace is the RE252 has excellent impact of note, so low end information isn't really lacking. The Custom 3 has a much thicker note, and lower midrange and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fido2 Thanks pal I'm not trying to be a dick here, but frankly the IE8 and SE530 are nearly on the opposite ends of the spectrum. To come down to those two choices is to essentially ignore personal preference and pick blindly at labeled high end products. It isn't helpful. You really have to know what they represent sound wise to even consider them, and this takes research. The search button is there, and there's a...
The charge shows what the graph shows. The chart and graph is my perceived frequency response of these earphones. EQing would be the inverse of these. Again, it's simply a starting point and is only correct for my ears. Anyone else will hear a little differently, so they do have to take the time and develop their own ideal settings. Personal preference will play a roll too. I like flat because it's non-specific and doesn't color the original recording, however,...
Maybe you should look into EQing.