Posts by mvw2

Nice review/comparison of the RE252. It really is an extremely good product. My only suggestion for anyone looking to try it out, tip choice is very important. You can get a much better seal and much more comfortable fitment with the right tip. Foams become an obvious choice. Comply T-500 tips fit great onto this earphone, but the open cell foam design can soak up some of the highs. The Olive is a closed cell type and doesn't soak away the top end. Really, this...
My point is even a basic amp like the E5 will show benefits with a lot of earphones. A better amp will still show greater improvements, especially once you add a good DAC if your source device isn't of very high quality.
Opening the jaw tends to open up the ear canal. Foam is a better route, a firmer type like the Shure Olive will hold better. Something soft like the Comply open cell foam is more comfortable, but it tends to be too soft to hold and is better suited to earphones more self holding (over ear types). Comply foams and other open cell types also tend to soak up some high frequencies too (good or bad depending). Sometimes you need that tight fit and associated pain to keep...
My choice in amp came from need. A DAC allows for very high audio quality from a rather generic device as long as one is allowed to use the DAC (on a laptop for example). I have found all but only a couple earphones I've used not benefit from amping. Almost everything I've used benefited from minor amping (something like the FiiO E5). A few have truly required a more robust amp (like my 2Move). It turned out some of my early earphones that I've used required a...
Recent RE252 owner. I figure I'd add a few comments to the thread. RE252: Good: -some of the best treble extension available. The only earphone I've used that offered a similar sound is the Triple.Fi 10 which I consider a king in the treble department. The RE252 offers the same clarity, edge, extension but is more natural and less "sweet" then the Triple.Fi 10. The CK10 might be about the only other IEM I've used with stellar top end detail, but it's a slightly...
Yep, open cell foam soaks up a good chunk of top end. Switching to Olive tips open up the top end and even some of the upper midrange too. The Olive tips have a solid top layer and are a closed cell design that doesn't soak up the highs. I've always considered the stock Comply tips to be a horrible choice for the UM3X. The top end is still a little mild relative to some other earphone options.
Agreed. These new dynamic earphones kick some serious but. My most recent surprise has been my new (used) RE252. The street price just doesn't match it's quality of sound. There's just been more and more balance and breadth out of these things. Yeah, I can't see using single BA earphones much. Although earphones like the ER4, PFE, SA6, etc. all do very well, multi-driver setups simply are quite advantageous just like you don't see single driver home or car audio....
To help reduce the ignorance, a typical suggestion is to read through the numerous big comparison threads made by ClieOS and Joker. They both cover a lot of the budget and mid level products and cover a wide gambit of the products available that are worth looking at. It'll help you pick out the better products available and weed out some of the worse product that exist that are bad despite looking good. I think you might opt for a budget closer to the $150 to find...
Haha, don't be hatin'. I can be blunt, yes. My goal is more so to knock JMGM out of his initial mindset. It's tough to buy the right earphones coming into it with the wrong approach. Expensive doesn't make it good or at least correct. Other people telling you what you should buy because they like it doesn't make it correct. My point is a person has specific tastes. Some people love pepperoni pizza, some love sausage but neither may particularly like the other. ...
You can't be torn between those three. It only shows that you (a) are clueless about what you want or (b) have not done enough research. I say this because the IE8, W3, and SE530 sound vastly different from each other. All 3 will not suit any one person's personal taste. Rather the only things they share in common are their moderate price tag and the fact that a lot of head-fiers think highly of them. In regards to your personal tastes and goals, only one or even none...