Posts by mvw2

Well, you just buy the Shure tips online.  They magically arrive at your door.  You decore them, and toss them on.   I have never really liked any of the tips that come with the HifiMan stuff.  I really liked the bi-flange tips of the MEElectronic sets, like the M9 and such.  Everyone's ears are different though, so the size and shape is hit or miss.  It is often best to find certain products that fit your ears well and stick with them.   I don't know what kind...
I'd lean you most to the Hifiman RE252.  My only suggestion is to invest in some Comply T-500 tips to make fitment easy.    
I've always used isopropyl alcohol to clean any IEMs I've sold.  I clean all my tips with it too, even the foam ones.  The only problem I've found is open cell foam balloons up when using alcohol.  They go back to normal when the alcohol evaporates.  Hydrogen peroxide doesn't do this, and you could use alcohol and then H2O2 and effectively rinse the alcohol out of the foam and have it like normal right away.  There isn't anything stopping you from using both. :p   I...
I would say the focus is not the bass with the e-Q5.  To many, they will more readily notice the mids and highs, so bass light is acceptable, although this is a minimal level of lightness.  Versus the e-Q7, the e-Q5 is a bit more high frequency focused.  The e-Q7 sounds a lot warmer and bassier, thicker and fuller too.  On a grand scale, they aren't a lot different, but relative to each other, they vary a bit in gearing.  The e-Q7 is low frequency dominant, bottom end...
I can't say anything about the RE0 change.  I owned it back at the start.  The RE0 and RE-Zero are quite alike for the housing anyways.  The RE-Zero is simply just a touch smaller overall but basically the same proportions miniaturized 15%.
I've liked the OK1 for a long time.  I've held onto it for good reason.  I will say that amping isn't absolutely necessary, but the OK1 does scale with power, and in terms of how well it can sound, it is detailed enough to scale with better DACs and audio player.  This isn't to say that you can't simply hook it up to a phone or walkman and just listen to music.  You certainly can.  As well, it's not as stark and raw as the RE252 when it comes to presenting details, so...
Well the OK1 as a bud is sensitive to ear shape and placement.  This means it will sound a little different from person to person.  As it gets closer and closer to a "seal" bass raises up.  However, the IEM format of the earphone is way too bass strong.  I am sure there is a certain person out there that the OK1 would end up sounding pretty balanced.  For most, it will simply be bright.   The frequency response is simply me running a pink noise track and EQing with...
Ah!  TBI you silly guys.  I have a set of their tweeters which as far as most are concerned is a LPG 25NFA but with their patented ETL design incorporated in and another $50 tacked on.  TBI isn't much about developing their own speakers though.  It makes sense for TBI to seek an oem manufacturer and incorporate their tech into more products to sell.  They might as well use that ETL patent for whatever they can.  I am curious how much TBI has done in terms of making the...
Time is taken, yes, but money is temporary.  Most of what I've done over the last few years is try to find products I'm most happy with.  I've purchased thousands of dollars of equipment, not all at once mind you, but I also sell back what I don't keep.  The investment is temporary, basically cash => liquid assets => cash.  It's a method I've repeated several times to allow me the luxury of owning many expensive products without really losing out in the end.  The only...
Well, if you can pay $200, you can probably pay $250 or $300.  This basically allows you to buy pretty much anything out there as long as you don't mind buying used.  This pretty much means just about everything out there is an option.   The OK1, RE0, and RE-Zero are all a bit different from each other.   The RE0 tries to do everything and in so struggles at the extremes.  You hear high highs and low lows, but the quality of the information isn't 100%.  The overall...