Posts by mvw2

I think the biggest challenge is not a raw better.  I think the biggest challenge is personal preference.  None of us want the exact same thing.  All of our "perfect" earphones don't sound the same at all.  There are a lot of great earphones out there, but I will listen to one after another and not think "wow, this is better than everything else I've listened to."  Instead it is always "This is different but good."  The biggest challenge is not the absolute better.  It's...
Triple.Fi 10 or FX700 definite win from that list.  The FX700 is warm while the Triple.Fi 10 is bright.   I would lean you slightly to the FX700 as it's a little better balanced and offers more detail.  The Triple.Fi 10 is more mindlessly fun though, but the coloration is more.   The idea of the GR07 being better than the FX700 is subjective.  From a broad spectrum viewpoint, I don't think they are far off from each other.  They are however geared quite a bit...
Except the RE0 was a warm, well more so dark, earphone.  I've long said the quality of information really was never there on the RE0, despite the great extension.  The ER4S isn't exactly a treble god either.  The PFE is more sparkly and crisp.  I've never thought well of the quality of information of the treble of either.  I've seen products like the RE252, Triple.Fi 10, and CK10 as being significantly better treble performers in terms of the quality of the high...
Well, you have a mass/spring/damper system tied to a force generating motor.  One can design any part of this system in different ways to tailor the sound and presentation towards certain goals.   Simply put, the GR07 sounds as if the motor is of a low power design.  It may be better to day it was designed in a way that doesn't offer really high power.  At low volumes, it sounds fine.  As you turn up the volume, the presentation plateaus.  The earphone can get...
My experience with the GR07 says no.  The earphone is pretty easy to drive.  An amp can be good if the source you use has very little wattage.  An amp with a DAC can be good if the source you use has mediocre audio quality.  The GR07 is pretty revealing and will show you any flaws quite readily.   So what about the amp issue?  Well, the GR07, without knowing specifics, sounds like a weak motored speaker.  It simply lacks raw power and is limited to some degree in...
Well, if you can find yourself an old Klipsch Custom 3 set, it would fair well.  I would normally recommend the Triple.Fi 10 for anything techno due to it's powerful presence and low and high emphasis.  However, if you're looking for warm treble, they aren't really geared that way.  While the treble is sweet, it is also a dominant part of the presentation.  Still, it is one of the most fun and often the best bang for the buck high end earphone on the market.   There...
The idea of one product being better gets a bit foolish at this audio level.  On a low end level there are always blatant flaws or limitations, things that absolutely one product better than another.  Once you start getting into the $150 plus range, it starts to really become an issue of better fit to a particular individual rather than absolutely better.
Excellent review.  Having used everything but the SM3, I feel you're pretty spot on with everything and included to highlight a little of the little details that make each product unique and different from others.
Yes, expectations are almost never met.  You sort of have to look at a product at face value without any personal bias, and that's hard to do because we all have preferences.  Having owned a lot of high end earphones personally, I can at least define a basic scale of things and how the RE262 stacks up within that scale.  I can say that something like dynamic range is top notch for the RE262.  Few other earphones really have the limitless breadth of volume and range of...
The RE262 is more about dynamics and detail, but they are very short in decay which does limit how much body and texture they can portray.  The RE262 does some things well and some things not so well.  What it does well it does amazingly well.like dynamic range and level of detail.  The things it doesn't do so well, you'll have to ask yourself if you care or can overlook the shortcomings.  As was said, a note that is too short/thin can come across hollow/ghostly.  As...