Posts by mvw2

Well, the UM3X doesn't need an amp.  However, if the source device is sufficiently low in power, bass can become seriously muddy and dis-coherent.  A little extra wattage snugs the low end right up.  This is assuming you're a little short on wattage, but I'd think the IPhone 4 would be ok in that regard.  I know it's not the best, but it's not exactly crap either in terms of phones with 3.5mm audio out.  What was the reasoning to start looking for an amp?
The issue with the DBA-02 is not in the highs but rather the lows.  It's simply that the low frequency driver used can not really match the aggressiveness and presence of the high frequency driver.  It has a similar kind of speed and presentation, but it doesn't quite match the output of the high end.  The low frequency notes are simply too short and end up lacking body and presence.  The low end sounds lean and unfortunately starts way up in the midrange and all the way...
Happy fun time BS.   One thing I enjoy is science.  It is never wrong.  Sound waves are not a foreign science.  What it can and can not do is simple.   Part one is the idea that it serves any real purpose as a sound reproduction device.  We as humans can not hear above 20kHz.  Well children can hear a little higher but not much.  The device as described is outside of the sensitivity range of our ears.  As far as having an audible effect, it is incapable due to it...
I think flat is always good.  However, the fun can come from the presentation rather than simply a factor of frequency response.  Flat doesn't mean you can't have energetic, engaging, dynamic, etc.
Same looks doesn't mean same drivers.  Many manufactures use oem components, so the look can end up pretty much the same, but manufacturers have freedom to modify the internal drivers, even have custom speced versions only to that company, and can tune them uniquely with different crossover settings and filters.   I've used the DBA-02 but not the B2.  I can't say how they're different, but some hints already point to a review/impressions thread out there for it, so...
It's hard not to like the balance.  They both offer their talents, high dynamics of the RE-262 and the outstanding balance of the RE-252. 
Custom 3 is paid for and sold.   Triple.Fi 10 is pending.
Pink noise is about intensity.  It's different between listening to a tone and noise.  With a tone, you are comparing loudness of points.  This means you want the sensitivity the same.  With noise, you do not.  Noise is area rather than a point and area increases as frequencies go up.  500-1000Hz has twice the area as 250-500Hz.  To compensate for doubling the area per octave, the loudness has to be cut in half.  The low pass filter over the entire spectrum does this. ...
Are those your only two choices?
Earphones are not super flat.  The single drivers being used are not flat.  There are curves to the response.  I'll pull one random example from Knowles website: http://www.knowles.com/search/prods_pdf/BK-21669-000.pdf   A copy of a very expensive but not so great response earphone, the Final Audio FI-DC1601SB in red.  It's not exactly something I'd call good.  The gray is the ER4P, again a single driver but much more balanced.  I will note that perceived balance...