Posts by mvw2

Introduction:   For sale is my Ortofon e-Q7.  This has long stood in the front of the line as the most balanced earphone I've ever used.  I have owned and held onto it for so long because it was both very good and exceptionally balanced.   Why sell then?   I kept this earphone because it represents the best "every man" IEM on the market.  It doesn't need an amp.  It doesn't need an exceptional source device.  It just sound great and offers a lot of qualities....
Introduction:   For sale is my Yuin Ok1 earbuds.  I've owned these for a very long time is my first high end head-fi product.  I have not been disappointed since.   I am selling them simply to minimize my collection.  I don't like to have what I don't use, and these simply do not get the play time they used to.  It's time for someone else to enjoy them.   Product:   You are getting what's shown in the photos.  The OK1 comes with everything it did brand...
Introduction:   For sale is my trusty Meier Corda 2Move headphone amp.  I have owned this for a number of years and very much has been one of the best hardware buys I've made.   Why am I selling it then?   I purchased it as a solution to quality audio output for laptops.  I've owned laptops for about the last 8 years, and they really just aren't all that good for audio quality.  I needed both a good DAC and amp to support the headphone hobby as well as...
I did personally prefer the Ortofons to the FAD A1.  I think the SB is good in a warm/smooth sort of way, more on par with the Ortofons but much different.  The A1 and SB are quite near each other in overall performance despite their vast price difference.  The SB is just a little bit better, a little better resolution, a little better balance, but the A1 is tighter and more articulate.  Both offer better clarity and resolution than the Ortofons, but the Ortofons offer a...
The DBA-02 is fast, aggressive, and reasonably well balanced.  Their downsides include some of the issues you see, mainly the lack of bass.  Well, it's not so much a lack of amount (although there is roll off) and more a matter of lack of thickness.  Decay is very short and the note weight simply isn't there.  It's short enough in note to even cause the lower midrange to sound a little lean.  To get the bass presence you want, you need a thicker note.  A thicker note...
Westone UM2.  It uses the ER4 driver for the highs and an added bass driver for the lows.   What did you dislike about the IE8?  It's actually a good earphone minus that broad bass hump.   I like the Triple.Fi 10 too.  Outside of fit, what did you like and not like about this earphone?   I'm just trying to get a feel for your preferences.
Indeed.  Neutral is simply a balance issue of frequency response, energy in presentation, etc.  It sounds even across the board.  Natural has more to do with adequate note weight, dynamics, texture, etc. as in the note presented sounds "normal" or at least your interpretation of normal.  It doesn't sound overly tight or crisp or drawn out and bloated or whatever else you feel like describing.  Sometimes natural is hard to come across.   As far as the do it all type...
There are limits to what software adjustment can offer.  The speaker, a mechanical device, has certain limits of performance.  We can play with software to add reverb, phase shifting, and EQing changes, think BBE here, and we can generate a different sound that comes out of the speaker.  However, the speaker is no more capable than what it was before.  As well you can't add data to an audio track.  The audio track will still have a limited amount of actual information...
Often neutral is more a matter of midrange in many cases.  A lot of earphones are V shaped to generate bass and treble emphasis for wow factor and because many seem to expect it (youthful tuning).  A neutral earphone doesn't specifically throw away bass or treble but simply evens out the presentation, bringing that midrange back into the picture.  There is less wow but more balance.  The challenge then becomes a matter of if the neutral earphone is too analytical, bland,...
Having used two of the three, my interests are peaked for your findings and comparisons.  I always love reading different points of view on products that when taken in group allow more unbiased perceptions of these products.