Posts by Pm@c

Im running an Asus Xonar Essence STX into my PC.    I am pretty sure its ASIO compatible. I would probably just record through that.   And actually, now that I think about it, wouldn't I technically be able to use it as a pre amp as well? It has an amp for the headphone jack that can support up to 600 ohm headphones, and it has RCA line in.    If not, I was thinking about the Azur 640P, since it supports MM/MC, and I would probably end up picking up an MC...
Is it maybe a good idea to record the vinyl to wav to store on my PC as sort of a permanent copy. I know that sort of defeats the whole point of going vinyl, but then I essentially get the best of both worlds.   This place I was at, he said he could get me the RP1 for $400 (CAD). I thought it was a pretty good deal. Think I may just go with it, my first foray into vinyl.   Who knows, I may end up loving it, investing more down the road.   I could sit here and...
Ya these looked like old albums too, so perhaps just age was the issue.   I am a little worried about reading that vinyl can only get about 100-200 plays before it reduces quality significantly.   I suppose at 30 bucks though, I wouldn't mind replacing my favourite albums every couple years or so.  
So I went to a place nearby today and had a listen to the RP1.    Now, that was my first ever time really listening to a vinyl record on something other than a crappy old record player my dad had.   There was a background clicking and popping, which I know comes with vinyl, thats just the way vinyl is, but is it something you can get used to?   There was alot more clarity to the stuff I was listening to, although it wasnt exactly music I listen to on a daily...
So a lower voltage MC cartridge is going to give me better frequency response but I need to make sure I keep my cable short to avoid interference?
I hate to be a bother, but is there perhaps somewhere with a comprehensive breakdown of Vinyl Tech and what to look out for? Like for example, the differences between the 4mV and the 0.25mV? Like what exactly is the difference, as far as quality goes? Do I want lower?    Basically, since I am coming in as an infant to this tech, I'd like to educate myself. I find if I can educate myself on a topic, I can usually make better decisions on the products I...
Any suggestions on good preamps for either the RP1 or the SL-1200? I did a bit of research (will do more) but so far for a brand new price of $445, I am leaning towards the RP1.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looking into the Rega on ebay, can buy one for $445 US.   I do live in Canada however, and I imagine the duty fees on that thing would be 50-100 bucks.   Anyone know any places in Canada that would have it or any other TT?
So I normally listen to FLAC through my PC. Running a Xonar Essence STX + DT770 Pro's (getting a little aged, about 4.5 years now).   Anyways, thinking about picking up the new Dream Theater album A Dramatic Turn of Events in the Deluxe Collector's edition set. Comes with 180-gram vinyl.    This would be my first ever vinyl album, but I am really thinking of converting to vinyl.    Haven't really started to do any research, I am a total vinyl beginner, and...
Thanks a ton, I was trying to think of the easiest way to do it, never thought of using my onboard mic port.