Posts by Pm@c

Going to be getting an RP1 soon with a Cambridge 640P. Mostly going to be listening through headphones, but was thinking I may pick up a set of speakers down the road.   Probably would have a budget of $400-700, wondering what would go well with this setup?
So I am buying a Rega RP1 soon, and I was wanting to go with the Cambridge Audio Azur 640p to go with it, but the guy I am buying it from is recommending "the Tonar" (didnt give me a model #) for 50 bucks less.   Any thoughts? 50 bucks is nothing to me, and ive been looking up the 640p for a while now, is the "Tonar" any good? Is there more than one perhaps?   I asked him to elaborate on the specific model # of the pre amp in question and am awaiting his response.
Sorry, a little confused on that last line. Does that mean I should or shouldnt use my sound card? Maybe invest in a better headphone amp?
What are some decently priced scales that people use for calibration? Would I be able to pick one up for 50 bucks?   Also, I just thought, if I go from my pre-amp through my Xonar, into my PC (even though I'm doing RCA into the line-in and using the headphone out), is it going to affect quality at all since its going through my PC? Or does the Xonar skip any of that "digitization" as long as I have the HI-FI setting enabled?
Ok now so when I get this thing, do I have to buy a special instrument to adjust the arm weight to 1.75G? Or is there some way to do that without? Or is it something I should be re-calibrating on a regular basis so I may as well get the proper tools?   I just want to make sure that when I finally do get my TT, that I set it up properly the first time.   Wont be getting it for another 3-4 weeks now, since I just bought a new car (2012 Focus), bed, and...
Any good tutorials on making your own then? I tried to follow this one: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/diySilver/   but got confused at:   "Decide which end is to be the destination and cut the white wire away just where it pokes out from the heat shrink." So the destination doesnt use the white wire? You just cut it and hide it?
What are some good cable brands? Dont trust myself making my own. 
I mean where can I find some good 180g and 200g vinyls?   Also, my Xonar has Line-in (RCA) so I could use that as a headphone amp right?   Go:   Turntable > Pre amp > Xonar > Headphones   That would work right? I plan on listening to my TT right at my desk anyways.
Ok so what are your thoughts on the Azur 640P to go with the RP1? I plan on using the stock needle for now, and then probably upgrading to an MC cartridge down the road, thats why I am thinking the 640P, since it does both MM/MC.   Then I'll probably want to invest in a better headphone amp, so any suggestions on something that would power some DT770 Pro's (64 ohms) nicely?   Probably going to be getting all this stuff in the coming weeks, so I need to make sure...
What about the 180g or 200g vinyls?