Posts by DrBenway

A little obsessive perhaps, but I wouldn't say abnormal. Definitely more normal than collecting, say, lunch boxes or toasters. i actually had a boss once who collected TOASTERS. I asked her about it once, and she launched into a misty-eyed speech about the favorites in her collection and the ones that continued to elude her grasp. Somehow, checking locomotives or songbirds off of your list seems more normal to me.   As far as headphones go, I always find myself trying to...
      Steve Guttenberg is an old-school audiophile, but I think he tries, in his blog, to avoid preaching to the converted. He often compares the experience of listening to a typical home theatre rig to the pleasure of listening to old-fashioned 2.0 setups. Without condescending, he gently tries to encourage people to take the plunge and try for better sound, whether via speakers or headphones. The slightly sensational use of the dollar figure in the title was a canny...
I knew it!! Tube freaks have been promoting this technology because it gets them high! I KNEW IT. Hee Hee. Seriously, I'm with you. What could be better than the liquid sound of beautifully produced music as heard through tube electronics? (OK, I run a T-amp, but I'm sure you get what I mean.) Actually, my first integrated amp was a Dynaco SCA-35 that my dad built from a kit in the mid-60s. I guess my early use of "mind-altering" electronics has ruined me.   Let's make a...
No weirder than bird watching or trainspotting. We are obsessed around here, and proud of it. The phrase "some portable player" suggests that you don't share that obsession, which is fine, but you are likely to make few friends on this forum by ridiculing the central topic of interest that knits this community together. Not a big deal. I'm just saying.
  WHAT???!!!! Are you suggesting that our fine political leaders would seize on nonsense as a way of getting publicity or whipping up their constituents? I am shocked, SHOCKED at this allegation. No politician has EVER exploited nonsense to get ahead. NEVER.   Tried it too. I downloaded some "binaural beats" tracks and spent several hours listening. Did I get high? Ummm....no. Did I get painfully bored? Yep.   All this proves is that people are gullible, ignorant, and...
When I first heard Devo's Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! I thought it must have come here from another planet. An amazing distillation of Kubrick's disturbing idea that humankind is being usurped by our own technology. Yikes. And yet, it rocks...Wow.   As for Iggy? If I had to pick a high-point for his solo career, Lust for Life would be the obvious choice. The rockin' rhythm section of Hunt and Tony Sales (Yeah! Soupy's kids!) lays waste to everything in their path....
Absolutely! Especially Paul Desmond's title track, which is surely a classic of jazz and music in general. But then again, I always thought the group should have been called "The Paul Desmond Quartet, featuring Dave Brubeck." Hee hee, just my opinion. Brubeck fans get so bent out of shape when I say things like that...
This is a great choice, but I think you have to point out that Gould recorded the Goldbergs twice, and the 1955 recording (his debut recording) is the place to start. It's the rare classical recording that is both immediately accessible and stunningly innovative. Gould's iconoclastic approach to tempo -- he played the work much, much faster than had previously been the standard -- sent shockwaves through the classical world.  The second recording, from 1981, saw him...
I can't think of a better reason.   Sadly, I just read today of the death of another funk/rock great. Gary Shider, guitarist for the legendary P-Funk, died recently of cancer. Like Marvin Isley, he was only in his fifties. As I stare at my own upcoming fiftieth birthday, I'm starting to understand the meaning of the old saying, "Life is short." I've always thought of that as a cliche. These days it seems less of a cliche and more of a grim truth.
Cool! Do you mean for commercial release?