or Connect

Posts by Pianist

Your written English seems better than that of quite a few young native English speakers these days. lol So don't worry. English is not my native language either BTW.   Also, notice that both MSR7 and HD600 have a similar dip around 6 kHz that reduces sibilance. I can confirm from my experience that MSR7 is never sibilant, unless the recording is terrible. I do need to admit that the upper midrange bump on MSR7 can make it quite hard to listen to at times.
double post
 Well, ok. I was just about to post the following: The volume of mid bass at 150 Hz relative to the highs from ~3-10 kHz is very similar between MSR7 and HD600 as you see on these graphs: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdfhttp://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHMSR7.pdf In fact, it looks like HD600 is brighter than MSR7 between 2 and 3 kHz and also does seem to have better presence after 10 kHz - more air. I am comparing to HD600, because...
Sure, brightness is emphasis at around 1 kHz or higher. Makes sense. Lower frequencies give body/fullness and warmth, not brightness. MSR7 is indeed bright because it emphasizes the 800Hz-2 kHz region, although I think emphasis in this region is more "shoutiness" or hardness than brightness. The bass IMO, is actually a bit lean on the MSR7. That's because I think that headphones need a few dB of gradual boost below 500 Hz or so to sound as natural as good speakers in a...
MSR7 does sound a bit hyped and artificial due to its very forward presentation, the boost in the upper mids and a lack of soundstage, especially compared to decent open headphones. However, it's still a highly resolving, clear and tight sounding headphone. The bass, in particular, is extremely tight and well defined on the MSR7 - some of the best bass out there - and the highs are just pristine and, again, some of the best I've ever heard. My HD600 sounds more natural,...
 I don't do recording, but I can say that MSR7 is not ideal for recording, because it's not neutral. There's a definite emphasis in the upper midrange around 800Hz-2kHz. This will likely mean that you won't be able to get your mids right in the mix, or at least it will be harder to do than with a more neutral headphone. If you get used to the sound, it may work fine though, depending on how experienced you at recording. At least, that's what I heard. MSR7 may be great for...
Closed headphones have their advantages. The most important is probably bass performance. It's far easier to implement a tight and well extended low end in a closed design than an open design. In fact, right now, I can't think of an open back dynamic driver headphone that can match the low end extension, combined with the low distortion that HP50 achieves. I am pretty sure only open planars and stats can do this. Even HD800 has higher distortion and recession in the sub...
 I haven't heard PM-3, but HP50 has a satisfying bass - it's tight and slightly elevated above flat. I think the bass quantity on the HP50 is about perfect. Bass quantity is also about perfect on X2, but X2 also has extra warmth in the ~300-900 kHz range and I don't like that - it adds unnecessary "fat" to the sound, warming things up just a bit too much for my liking. It can work well with some music, but doesn't do any favors for vocals and live instruments. It's a...
Quote: Modded or stock D2000? I disliked stock D2000. It has a lot of sub bass, but it's very bloated and intrudes into the higher frequencies. The highs on stock D2000 are too sharp, grainy and a bit steely/metallic. The mids are somewhat recessed and not very natural... I actually preferred my modded HD555s and sold D2000 after a few days of owning them. X2 is far more natural and even sounding than stock D2000. However, I could hear potential in those D2000 drivers, so...
It's ironic how I tell most people how great my X2s sound and how appear very well made and durable, and mine probably are, when other X2s have build and sound quality issues. I say the "good" X2s are some of the best built headphone's I've seen and I am sure can take more abuse than HD600/650.