Posts by Pianist

Oops, sorry then - I thought you were talking about Cayin C5.
 I agree with this, except that I think the C5 actually has a wider soundstage/wider stereo separation, while E12A is able to produce greater soundstage depth.  The E12A could drive my HE-500s and Q701 quite well, so it should be able to drive HD600s OK also, just don't expect to get the full potential out of the Sennheisers with the Fiio amp. It should be at least a very listenable combo though. Actually, I just replaced my E12A with a Schiit Vali a few days ago and I am...
For outside use in public places, a closed back headphone with some isolation is a much better option than an open backed one for obvious reasons. Specifically, I recommend Focal Spirit Classic or NAD Viso HP50. Both pair very well with the X5s headphone out and although I haven't tried the Sennheisers with the X5, I bet that both the NAD and Focal cans will outperform an HD650 or even HD800 when driven straight out of X5s built in amp. The high end Sennheisers need a...
I recommend Focal Spirit Classic or NAD Viso HP50. Both of them are likely the best sound isolating headphones I've heard - at least, I can't remember other closed back over the ear headphones or IEMs sounding better than these two. I think the Focals sound closer to HD650 in character. I actually prefer both of the closed headphones to HD650 soundwise, as they have better bass and a more fun sound overall IMO. HD650 may be better technically, but only by a small margin,...
 I used the line outs of X5 and Asus Essence STX, but they are virtually identical in quality as both X5 and STX use the PCM1792A DAC.
While Cayin C5 is certainly a very nice sounding amp, I've personally moved on the Fiio E12A, because I feel that the latter sounds more neutral, transparent and natural than the C5, and suits a wider variety of headphones. I AB'ed the two amps before deciding to keep the E12A. I found C5 more spacious sounding, more controlled, especially in the bass and sharper, more exciting on attack. However, the E12A won out in most other aspects of sound to my ears.   The E12A has...
I also love my Focal Spirit Classic. They are one of the best headphones I've ever heard. They are amazingly musical and engaging. I can't think of any headphones in their price range that I feel are better sounding overall. Not even well regarded, popular open back cans, such as DT880, HD650 or K/701 can beat the Focals in overall sound quality IMO. I think the Focals have better tonal balance than the vast majority of headphones, including the aforementioned ones and...
Price drop to $110. This will be my final price on this amp. Great deal!
Price drop to $120!
Purchased in the winter of 2012, so they are 3 years old now. Purchased directly from Hifiman. All accessories included. Condition is great, except that the paint is coming off on the metal "arms" that connect the headband to the earcups. Actually, the paint was already partially degraded when I received the headphones - I think it was a manufacturing issue with my pair. Other than that, these are pretty much perfect cosmetically and sonically. Price includes shipping...