Posts by MadMike

Originally Posted by irishsammy   My BH Crack was the first thing I had ever soldered in my life.    It took me 2 nights (about 6 hours total) to finish, not counting the time it took to cut and strip wire (the easy stuff), and I made 2 mistakes.  I fixed those 2 mistakes in about 20 minutes.    And then I had a functioning headphone amp that has turned out to be pretty much my endgame choice paired with Senn HD600s.  I sold a pair of LCD-2 headphones and a Woo...
You don't need to send in a warranty card- just include a copy of your receipt. My son had this same issue and V-Moda fixed the problem. I now have this problem as well! Thankfully, it is still under warranty- I will be sending them in very soon.
Your point being...? Have you heard both the D1 and the Modi? Trust me, they sound a lot more alike than they do different.
With the Crack, for the most part. I max out the volume on the D1.
So, you're saying that the chip doesn't share ANY characteristics between DACs, especially budget DACs- that's simply not true. The implementation of the chip on budget DACs doesn't vary that much, at least not enough to completely change the sound.
The Modi should work just fine. It's based on the AKM4396 chip; same chip is used in the Audioengine D1, which I am currently using with the Crack. 
I assume you are referring to the Crack, correct? Very easy to build and the HD600s sound great on it. They weren't kidding when they named it "Crack"- can't get enough of it! No Speedball upgrade for now- maybe later.
What, no Bottlehead Crack love here?
They are worth $170. I listen to my HD600s at home and my M80s on the go- not too much of a drop off. M80s are very good!
Currently available for $150 on the V-moda website.