Posts by Shahrose

This is a sleeper IMO. One of the best DACs at its price point.
It's impressive that you have the knowledge and skill to DIY mods. If I were you, I'd build myself an M^3, Beta22 or Dynalo for my amp and a y2, or better yet, a Buffalo III for the DAC. It would be a very significant leap from what you're currently using.   I say this because I've owned all the high-end sound cards and put in the best components on them. The upgraded STX was the best of them, but it was smacked around by a lowly Musiland 02US and y2 DAC. The Buffalo...
Looking at your setup Ian, I can tell you the HD800's plastic resonance is not the problem. Sennheiser put a lot of work into making the Leona plastic they used to be as acoustically inert as possible. No need to mess with it.   I'd first focus on the source, amp, cables and then finally with these extraneous mods if you still aren't satisfied. Trust me, the former make a world of difference. Moving away from a midlevel soundcard alone (no matter how upgraded it is)...
  Honestly, there is no more debate in my mind. I could hear cable differences from the outset, but as my setup has improved, these differences have only become more pronounced. It has gotten to the point where I can easily point out which cable material is being used on my HD800s and HE6s blind. 10/10 times.   The trick is to learn the sound of the cable so you know what to look for in comparison to other cables.   Crucially, I have found cable differences to be far...
  Mark, I agree with everything you've said. But, I just wanted to add that the GS-X can scale higher and sound better with a better signal. The Lavry isn't the last word in DACs IMO.
Latest fw. The unit came in to the store last month. Edit: BTW, I found noticeable differences among the filters. Like you, I found filter 4 the smoothest/darkest, but I more often prefer filter 1. It sounds more dynamic and punchy. I can see the preference changing with even small changes in equipment (including cables).   I find the P/V easier to listen to than either the Dynahi or Beta22. More mid-centric, liquid, forgiving, smoother (but not always darker), with a...
What's funny is that the Ref 7.1, a PCM1704UK DAC, is brighter and sharper than the PWD (not in a harsh way). The former is more neutral while the latter is definitely the more forgiving, rounded, and smoother.   This is all assuming the use of a good converter. Otherwise the Ref 7.1 can sound mushy and veiled.
Yea, I think I remember reading anything below 60% should be avoided. You lose some resolution though I haven't tested it myself. It's easy for me to keep the PWD at 100% and control the volume from the amp or PC.
Honestly, I've found with a good source, most of the amps recommended here can sound great.   I personally love the hybrid Apex Peak/Volcano with the HD800. Though SS amps are my usual preference, I feel I need a dose of tube magic at times.   Many times in the past, I've found even good tube amps didn't have the control and imaging of their SS competitors. That's why I've gravitated towards hybrid designs, which seem to retain much (but not all) of the benefits...
I don't have the bridge, but Steve from Empirical Audio said it's better than the USB input. (Some others, including purrin, I know agree)   According to comparisons done on other fora, it's still not as good as the OR5, but the difference may not be worth the extra cost at that point.