Posts by Shahrose

^ Couldn't have said it better AiDee.   A few additions about the Ciunas. If I were to really scrutinize its sound, I'd say it could use some liquidity in the mids and render a larger soundstage. I still think it plays in the same league as the PWD MK2 and Ref7.1 (with the Ciunas converter). The PWD is the lushest, most coloured of the three, and also the most liquid. I just don't like its congested sound. The Ref has the largest, most immersive sound (also the least...
  Posted 3 weeks ago. I haven't had a lot of time lately, will write more when I can.
  Referring to an earlier post you made, just wanted to share my experience. I owned a modded EE Minimax and have the Ciunas and the latter is the more detailed, regardless of the configuration used on the EE. The Ref 7.1 clearly resolved more than the Minimax and the Ciunas beats the Ref there.
I don't agree with either of these things and I've owned 2 different sets of HE500s (old and new).   Replace the HE500 with the HE6 and perhaps you can make an argument, but even then I don't think all of that's true.
  I'll report back once I get it. Don't know anything about the Hydra, but the Alpha I've heard good things about as well. I don't know if it's better than the OR5. On audio-circle, the impressions were exactly the opposite and I somewhat doubted the credibility of the Alpha proponents. Anyways, I've never tried it, so I can't be sure.   For the thread, I forgot to mention I had a Downsize upgraded EE Minimax with lots of opamps/tubes. My favourite combo was the 4 x...
Haven't been on here in a while. Just wanted to give a quick update. I've had the Ciunas for almost 2 weeks now, burned in. I like it more than the PWD MK2 (2.2.0) and it's very competitive with my main setup involving the Ref7.1. I'm also getting the converter in a couple of days to test with the Ref.   IMO, this is one of the best values in the DAC world currently. Neutral, super fast but also liquid and smooth, with great detail and layering. The soundstage isn't...
  x2...except replace HE6 with the HD800 most of the time. HE6 second/first depending on mood.
Not yet. Ordered it recently, waiting to receive.
  New one, bought and manufactured in Dec. 2012.   I have no reason to doubt you about the SQ variance, but it would have to be a pretty big difference to even match the Ref7.1. I had the PWD2 burned in for 500 hours and had it for almost 2 months in house. Did a lot of comparisons.   One thing I'll say is the PWD2 was super detailed and super fast. I agree that it was congested and lacking some bass (*relative* to the Ref7.1).
  Had the OR5 with all the options few months back. Like you, I found the PWD2 to improve significantly with it, especially via I2S. But, if you think the PWD2 improved that much, wait till you hear the OR5 with the Ref7.1...the difference was dramatic and it took the DAC to levels far beyond the PWD2 + OR5. I liked the Ref7.1 better even with midrange transports like the MK3 JKSPDIF, but the OR5 transforms it into a new DAC...to the point that the PWD2 seems clearly...