or Connect

Posts by mhamel

Like anything, it depends on the gear/manufacturer.  There are good and bad in just as there are on the consumer side.
 This gear is designed and built to use in environments where the potential for noise and interference is far beyond anything you'll encounter in a consumer/home setting. Think of the number of components that might be in a recording studio - they're racked up, in close proximity, tons of cables, long runs, potentially sharing the network with many other devices and running many more channels of audio than we're using. The fact that it's barely if even at all affected by...
 I've got to agree. While ultimately I preferred the sound of the Dangerous DAC, the Yggy is a great product and built like a tank. I've previously owned a Gungnir, Bifrost and Modi and all have worked flawlessly as have the various Schiit amps I've owned. When they have had product issues, they are up front about letting people know and doing the right thing to get them resolved. While I agree that we all have a choice and should explore options, I don't think it's a fair...
  Great find/research. Based on how responsive Focusrite has been so far, hopefully they can fix this easily in a firmware update for those having issues with it.
http://www.epanorama.net/newepa/2009/10/02/digital-audio-isolation/   Basic - there are more complicated circuits but probably not needed. You'll probably have to do some searching on where to find the transformer, but they're readily available.
 You can build your own SPDIF isolator for less than $25 in parts.
 This is one of the things about these forums that is both good and bad. :-) Years back this would have been a local user group where we all hashed this stuff out at meet over a few drinks or dinner - then all sat down in the same room to check out the gear, try different pieces brought by the group, etc.. that's much more difficult when everyone is scattered. On the other hand, the nearly unlimited access to information and the ability to have these discussions, learn...
 That's not how the CRC works. If the data in the packet is changed by even one single bit, the packet is bad and automatically re-transmitted.  The "speed" rating of an ethernet cable comes into play as you hit the higher bandwidths required for faster data transmission - the BJC cable may be working better not because it's Cat6, but because it is fully tested and meets spec.  Likewise when you're running GigE over a cable rated for 10G, the bandwidth required is much...
 The issue with that graphic is that it's way too vague to provide meaningful data.
 I completely understand what's being discussed... A few things, also with respect. The cable itself has no "speed" - a 10g spec cable isn't going to do any more or less on a 1g network than 1g. Per the other Mike, from previous posts, clocking doesn't matter in this case as long as the data gets there intact, due to the way it's handled.  I do plan to try fiber if for nothing else than to hear (or not) the changes for myself - which is why I haven't and won't comment on...