Posts by M0T0XGUY

Hi all,   I'm moving to a new place on the east coast pretty soon, and it doesn't have A/C -- indoor temps will probably get up to 85 degrees. Am I in danger of having my records (40 or so) warp in that kind of heat, even if I keep them away from direct sunlight, store them tight and upright, etc.?   -Nick
Hi all,   This question might've been asked before, but I've done some searching and haven't found a good answer. I'm looking to align a cartridge with the stupid protractor from vinyl-engine, but what I've noticed in all these TT-setup vids is that the alignment tools (mirrored protractor, geodisc, etc.) have some height (thickness) to them. Since the print-out I'm going to use is practically height-less, should I place a record on the platter and then the print-out...
Hi all,   Just a quick question for you guys. Last week I bought a set of 10.1s, figuring I'd sort out the issue of a proper amp later. Well, as luck (perhaps) would have it, today a musician friend of mine gifted me this (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-ep2000-europower-power-amp) power amp, which drives up to 2x 1,000 watts at 2 ohms, and 2x 750W at 4 ohms. It has an attenuator built in, but still I'm a bit hesitant to hook up my likely sensitive...
Not sure of the answers to a lot of those questions, which probably isn't a good thing. My turntable's a Pro-Ject Debut III with the stock tonearm, and the cheap Ortofon cartridge -- I'm unfamiliar with the term "effective mass." "Compliance," too.   As for a protractor, I used one from vinyl engine, and with the Baerwald method. I didn't have to adjust anything -- the cartridge was (apparently) correctly aligned from the factory. I looked into instead using a...
Any recommendations on a cheap cartridge that will specifically eliminate inner-groove distortion? E.g., not one that will necessarily sound as nice as, say, that Grado Sonata, but that which will at least play a record near-distortion free?
Sorry if this has been posted a billion times before, but lately I've been wondering: is there any way to combat inner groove distortion? My turntable is new, factory aligned, my stylus is new, my records are literally brand spanking new, never played before, and yet all of them turn to (relative) junk by the last song or two. My tracking force coincides with the manufacturer's specifications for the stylus (1.5g), I've done the whole alignment chart thing, just in case,...
I've heard that B&W speakers are a bit overrated in terms of sound-quality. Any truth to that rumor?
Thanks for the links. I should clarify a few things: I have all the necessary complimentary equipment. Power-amps, pre-amps, interconnects -- I've got 'em. So unless there's a sonic benefit to a fully-enclosed system, I'm not worried about shopping for plain-old speakers themselves.   Another side-note: my room is pretty small. Not small, exactly -- but there's lots of junk (boxes, camera equipment, and so on) lined along the walls to make it feel small. I don't know...
This is true: I bought RS-1s because I couldn't afford a decent set of speakers. Grados, I thought, were the closest thing to matching them (in terms of raw musical energy). But now I have a bulge in my wallet that needs de-bulging. I'm looking for some kind of 2 channel set-up with a sound-signature similar to RS-1s', if such a thing even exists, for around $1500.    Problem is: I don't know speakers. Don't know whether I want floor-standers or bookshelf units. Have...
Question on actually using the eraser: any scrubbing motion necessary? Or it is a dip in gently and then remove kind of thing?   EDIT: Found this link: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1079733653&read&keyw&zzmagic=eraser Any comments on the effectiveness of the procedure described here?