Posts by jgazal

Has anyone already listened to Janszen Lotus headphones at the Axpona?
Just for future reference:
Actually I'm really curious, but not exactly optimistic. I just want to know which one has less errors. After all the info I got from you here and in the accuracy thread, I now believe both binaural and Ambisonics are different cans of worms. :-) Dr. Stephen Smyth did not want his product advertised as a virtual reality device. Now I understand why he was that cautious, because image and sound positions may not be rendered coincidentally. If I record content with the...
I was hesitant to post this in the Realiser thread, but since you mentioned such recording blindness and this is a sound science forum, I believe this is a better suited thread.In my quest to understand the constrictions of both i) binaural HRTF content filtered by personalized HRIR* (PRIR**) with a binaural stream output for headphones and ii) high order Ambisonics content (HOA) transcoded with PRIR parameters to a binaural stream output for headphones, I have just found...
  Erik, thank you very much for that mix block tip.
Can you describe that sensation of envelopment improvement you heard between the first PRIR and the "Hafler" PRIR?Does the front soundstage keep believable in both PRIRs as you turn your head?
At least where I live, I guess outdoor signal to noise ratio would defeat any advantage of avoiding reflections. We need to rent some acoustic treatment. :-)Eric, when you did that "coincident" dipole PRIR to simulate crosstalk cancelation, how did you choose the look angles and how did you know you were looking to the right angle spot?Have you tried other angles like 10, 90 and 110 degrees?I am curious to know if 10 degrees work better not only for binaural recordings, bt...
I wish I could give you double reputation for your post.You obviously have a vast and much larger repertoire than me about this subject and I appreciate your patience and your willingness to share your experience.You are right. There is no way to achieve xtc or beamforming without DSP.What I wanted to say is that such DSP may not be loaded with a custom measured personal room binaural impulse response (PRIR) to make that HRTF translation in digital domain, so that such...
The playback chain is very specific.1. Dummy head and torso binaural microphone (stationary);2. Dipole speakers separated by 10 degrees or a beam forming line array;3. A DSP to cancel crosstalk or the mentioned beam forming array that inherently avoid crosstalk.4. A more and less dead room or speakers with high directivity.If the listener looks straight ahead, even if his/her typical ILD and ITD are not exactly the typical of that dummy head, such playback chain may still...
Thank you very much.It is so difficult to think about the results without hearing to any crosstalk cancellation - xtc, beaforming line arrays or headphone externalization working units.With your answer in mind I can now speculate that if someone listens to a customized bacch-sp filter with head tracking and the elevation image does not collapse, then crosstalk cancellation is just half of the story and Dr. Choueiri may use the PRIR not only to maximize the crosstalk...