Posts by Barry

Interesting- so you found the soundstage on the X to be wider than the S9? I don't have both for comparison, but this is different than the experience of the OP. Not challenging you - DAPs are very difficult for me to compare - but just wanted to make sure I understand you. Thanks
I was also concerned about the comparison before I came to the conclusion that each DAP comes with its own sound signature partially due to its own pre-programed equalization and processing. Like headphones, I don't think that DAPs are "flat" out of the box. The issue for me is whether when I add my own preferences, or in this case the BBE, how does it sound? For ipods, for example, the equalization comes at the expense of overall sound quality. The pre programmed eq...
This review is just what I was looking for. Thank you.
It used to be that there was no way to measure the distance between the sun and the earth. Does that mean that the sun and the earth were in the same place? Of course not. There used to be no way to measure differences in quantum particles. And now we accept the differences as real. Similarly, while we can measure many things related to audio reproduction, it would be arrogant to think that we can measure everything that is important. In my lifetime, there has been...
I don't believe that anybody is questioning your diligence or integrity by noting their view of the price. I think that folks are just giving you feedback about their situation and how persuasive your ad would be to them. If you view your market as only the UK, then that is very clearly your choice as it should be. That choice does limit the number of your potential customers, however. Again, clearly your choice but it might mean that it takes longer for you to sell...
I own the D2. Very much like the sound but found UI challenging. Too many screen button pushes to search the database. And the font size is small - fixable with new themes, if you are into those kind of things. At the last NJ show, I listened briefly to the Creative Zen. It sounded great, expandable with a SD card, seemed easy to use and solidly built. Pretty cheap - about $50 depending on the amount of on-board memory. Worth considering, I think. And people...
I am curious, how do you make an iem that looks expensive? We have the Vibes that are metal, a $150 wood iem. My Shure530s are plastic and don't look very opulent and UE universal iems all look kind of tacky to me, but I know that they sound very good. I wish Grado well with this effort. I think that a Grado sounding iem would make lots of people happy, especially if it is comfortable
I had a chance to handle and listen to the S9 at JR today. The single song on the unit was the Cowon theme song or something like that and it was simply awful. I suspect that the unit sounds much better than THAT. I own the D2 and like the sound - could use some more detail but I like the wide stage, etc. Folks say that the S9 is warmer than the D2. Trying to envision the differences - difficult since I am one of those people who do not find the D2 cold. I am...
I am often surprised at the contradictary (sp?) impressions of DAPs. All given in good faith. Some say the Classic is richer than the Touch. Others say just the reverse. Some find the D2 flowing and musical others find it artificial and shrill. Makes it difficult to make a decision based on other people's reactions unless you know how they listen, etc. This is true for headphones as well but it seems there is more concensus in headphone opinions. Have others noticed...
This is a very helpful discussion. I always suspected that my doctor used a random number generator and tarot cards to practice his art. He always claimed that there was scientific underpinings but heck, audio designers say the same thing and we know the snakeoil associated with that. (I had to bring this back into our hobby somehow.).