Posts by Barry

I happened to call Shure about this exact same situation earlier this week. The man on the phone said that it would not effect the operation of the 530s and not to worry. Prior to losing the "filters", my phones were clogged with compromised sound, so I don't have anything resembling a first hand comparison to agree or disagree with Shure - but they do sound much better than when they were clogged........
I don't know about the comparisons you are requesting, but FWIW, the Sony X series is not hard drive based. It is flash based. More reliable if that is important to you. The Sony is a terrific DAP with a robust sound. Good luck with your search.
To a significant extent, you describe the sounds of the two DAPs as I would. With one exception that makes me want to listen once again. To me, the Sony had more digital haze than th S9. Would you mind sharing the codec and bit rate you were using? I did my comparisons with 320 mp3. Perhaps with AAC or WMA on the Sony I would reach different conclusions. My phones were 530s and audio technica buds. 700s I think.
In the US, I think they ship from NYC. I'm another happy customer. if you think you have a problem, I would just drop Fang an email.
Sound processing could be a good idea. Also, doesn't rockbox have a balance control and eq? Also, perhaps clipons may work. Maybe one of the yuins?
Quote: Originally Posted by PhilS It may not mean much to you or others. That's ok. It means something to me (and others obviously), at least when considered with other "anecdotal evidence", and personal experiences. And it can be "verified" (or refuted) to some extent by conducting a trial for yourself. And people rely on "anecdotal evidence" all the time. When a friend tells me the new Chinese restaurant down the street makes great Kung Pao...
Just my opinion, but the sound modification settings on the X do not help the unit sound more natural to me. The BBE settings on the S9 do improve the balance and have a natural sound. I do think that the X is a terrific sounding unit without the settings - just for me the wider soundstage and the sound in general of the S9 sounds more involving and more natural. I can well imagine that somebody else will reach an alternative conclusion. Both units are head and...
Quote: Originally Posted by ThePredator Why does everyone insist on (incorrectly) using quantum mechanics to prove their point? The directness of proof of quantum particles is astounding, ranging from cloud chambers to a simple photomultiplier connected to a speaker (hell, a CRT television is direct evidence of quantum particles). Because while the proof of quantum particles is now accepted. It was not always so. Eventually,after centuries of...
I dunno. I thought the Cnet compaison was pretty clear with enough information to decide what was important to me. I might not pit the same emphasis on each item, but I suspect that my observations on a characteristic by characteristic basis will be similar to the authors. And the cnet article is certainly consistent with other descriptions. Like any review type article, I take what I can from it, decide what is important to me and then move on. I'll tell you, though, if...
I don't know anything about listening training, but I can imagine that meditation would be helpful in focusing. Science is not always objective (there can be considerable interpretation in determining the results of experiments, etc. there certainly is interpretation in trials involving humans, etc.) nor is it static - there are advances in determining the right item to measure, the measurement technique,etc. Our scientific explanations of our world and how we...