Posts by Barry

I don't know if the sony is overpriced, but I auditioned both the x series and the S9 over a period of a week at home with the same music and ended up keeping the S9. The music had more texture and flow. The sony also sounded very good but not so layered, etc. I can see how others would prefer the sony - it certainly does sound good and is easier to use, but though I could afford either, I just could not justify the extra c note. The sony is a sleeker machine and that...
While a formal education or degree is not the only way to obtain knowledge about a subject, it does serve as a valuable quality control and does significantly increase the probability that the person offering the knowledge knows what he or she is talking about. While it is true that people without education can and do have knowledge about a subject, there are many without an education on a subject think that they do know things that are not true. Visit any bar or diner,...
I can't recall anybody writing that the S9 sounded colored with no soundstage. As for myself, I chose it because it sounded less colored and had a wider, more airy soundstage than the Sony X series. I will say that the Sony was a very close second choice. The S9 interface out of the box is not so great. Upgrade the firmware to 2.41 and use the Claw UI and it works well. It did take more work to make the interface to my liking compared to the Sony. Out of the box,...
Makes sense. I have not done anything like an ABX test. My sense is that the S9, even flat is more detailed and has more "space" than the iPod. Speaking hypothetically, since I am not an engineer by any definition, it may be that while a DAC is important in the design of a DAP and its sound, there is more to it, such as amplifier, layout, software, etc. And while I use the Claw UI, which improves things, I wish that the S9 had a better and swifter UI. The 5.0 ipod is...
Quote: Originally Posted by dfkt It's a Wolfson DAC, it very likely sounds as good or bad as the next Wolfson player (Cowon, Meizu, iPod, etc).. no, I haven't heard the Zune, but I heard about a dozen players with Wolfson DACs in their circuits, and they all sounded ok-ish. Interesting comment. I find the Cowon S9 to sound superior to my iPod 5.0. Do you think that these two players sound the same?
Actually, I think that the Bose ie would be great for that purpose. It lets sound in and does not sound bad at all. Just expensive for the quality. At half price not a bad choice. Also, you may want to consider regular iems but with the soft, hollow silicone tips. They don't block sound all the way and may work in your setting. Finally, the clip-ons by Head Direct sound good and are open in design. I know that they are not in ear, but maybe worth some thought.
To the OP. As koven noted, it will not. But I am curious. Why did you think it might? There may be other newbees with the same question or in need of information.
I mean that the unit does not turn on and is not recognized by my computer. I am hopeful, almost confident that this will be fixed and so I am not too worried, but I thought that people should know so they can make an informed choice. One more note on the sound. I thought that the S9 presents a more textured, more transparent window to the music. The sound was not as immersive as the Sony, but to me, more realistic. Don't get me wrong, the Sony is a terrific DAP...
I found that the S9 had a wider, more realistic stage and sweeter sound than the x series - the sony was most impressive, very impactful at first listen but overall, I liked the sound of the s9 better. The sony UI does work better, but the S9 is much improved over my D2 and I dont find it a problem. I do have some reservations about recommending the S9 because so many people have had problems with the 32 gig turning into a brick. I understand that the Cowon people are...
You might want to visit an audiologist. They sell an oil/ointment called Aura something. It is made to reduce the itch associated with hearing aids and does the same with IEMs. If you have baby oil in the house, you might want to try that. One reason for the itch is that your ear is too clean and too dry. Good luck.