Posts by Torula Yeast

Have: GS-1000s. Want: IEM that sounds good as the SR-60s. Hopefully, science marches on...
For an alternative viewpoint, my SR225s sport the "super bowls" standard on the GS1000s. These bowls offer breathing space for the detail to come through, and are comfy as heck. Granted, moving the bass further away from the ears in the 225s reduces its impact a tad, but for me, it's far from a deal killer. Oh, and did I mention they're comfy?
Quote: Originally Posted by Joelc87 If you want a huge soundstage get some Grado GS-1000's. Yabba-dabba-solutely. Those eleventynormous ear pads not only give great spacial impression, but fantastic detail, while the drivers provide plenty o' impressive bass response one mightn't expect given their distance from the ear. And couple this pair with an amp that offers crossfeed, such as the HeadRoom line, and you've got a live concert inside/outside...
A bit too much tension in this thread, ya ask me. Hey, I haven't heard a Total BitHead, but I did send for a Total AirHead (to hear outta my iPod w/SR60s), and was well nigh disappointed by the results. Then I got a HeadRoom Micro Amp, and lo, found amp religion. Well, sorta. My Micro is the preferred way for me to hear my Grados, but I can stick either my GS-1Ks or humble SR-125s right into the iPod and *not* be disappointed by the sound. Assuming a decent source,...
I, as an owner of the shure 530s and grado 125s, suspect it is because your laptop's soundcard is geared more for cheaper buds that don't excel in bass and treble, and thus accentuate these qualities in your 530s. Not to say that the 530s sound a thing like tinny earbuds, but that they are eq'd to emphasize midrange, which they do beautifully. Only, they lack detail and punch in trade. The 225s (and, presumably, your Senns), on the other hand, deliver midrange and...
I'm going to be contrary to what someone else before me posted, and state that the bowls will indeed give you more soundstage, albeit at the expense of bass and immediacy. Additionally, the increased space of the larger pads gives you more detail, as if detail benefits from more breathing room. Me, I have a pair of SR125s on which I've put the superbowl pads offered with the GS1000, and I love the soundstate and detail while feeling the bass is adequate. Don't be afraid...
Shoot, with your budget, I say go for the gold! The Grado GS-1000s sound better out of an iPod, EQ off, than most people will ever realize with their home sound systems (OK, folks here aren't most people). Yes, my HeadRoom Micro adds to the experience, but really, the main reason I use the Micro is due to the crossfeed, which does a nice job of fooling my brain that I'm hearing complete stereo even though I'm 3/4 deaf in one ear. If it weren't for the hearing loss, I'd use...
X3. No having to worry about batteries, and so ridiculously easy to tote. Qualities range from "this'll get ya by for 3 - 7 hours" to, "wow, this is friggin' nice," which is a range I'm not aware that the active noise-cancelling 'phones provide.
Quote: Originally Posted by woopididi congratulations on your new GS1000! does the SQ justify the 1K$ price? Heterodoxical is it may sound, I'd venture this: If all you have is an iPod and $1,000 to burn, and you want the best sound possible, bypass the amps and the mid-range headphones and go straight for the GS1k's. Yes, they can make even an unamped iPod sound like a home system. And you can always get an amp later. Or a nice home system, for...
Quote: Originally Posted by -=Germania=- To any on-lookers: You shoudl know that even though you can only hear out of one ear that you still get a 3d sound space because your brain adjusts and reinterprets. Absolutely! I'm about 70-75% deaf in one ear, and owning a cross-feed amp (HeadRoom MicroAmp) makes listening to even olden Beatles and Moody Blues recordings audible in my bad ear, thanks to the wonderful compensation abilities of the...