or Connect

Posts by mink70

I'm using a MacBook Pro with an SSD boot drive running the latest Audirvana + to send files to my Codex, and I found that both the Uptone Audio Regen and the AQ Jitterbug make huge differences to the sound. As does the choice of USB cables. Wish it weren't so, but it is. 
Had no idea. Apologies.
Man, with all due respect, can you please use capitalization, grammar and paragraph breaks, especially when writing at this length? You have a lot to say, and these are a bear to read.
 I, too, started with the Pono, which I continue to love. It's beguiling musicality is in my experience unique among portable devices. In general, I think one of the challenges in this hobby is making meaningful distinctions between sound and music, and one of the interesting things about Charlie Hansen is that he has thought a lot about making stuff that plays music, not just reproduces sound. Having said that, for me the Codex is just as engaging as the Pono, but offers...
I can confirm that the Codex sounds great out of the box and then gets really bad. Don't be alarmed. It takes more patience than most, but it's a documented phenomenon.
Thanks Jeff. I'm finding that the sound keeps changing pretty dramatically over the first 250 hours.
 What is your impression of the unit before break in? What frequencies are you equalizing? (I have found the first 200 hours pretty rough with my Codex, honestly.)
I called.
Spoke to Alex Brinkman at Ayre this morning, who was funny and cool, and who confirmed that 1) the chip in the Codex is the ESS ES9018K2M, not the plain 9018, and that 2) it is perfectly normal that my Codex, which has about 180 hours on it currently, is still sounding steely, bright and way worse than my Pono Player's line out. He said that the unit sounds amazing out of the box and then begins sounding much worse, which mirrors my experience perfectly. He said 500 hours...