Posts by mink70

The NO sounds horrible—horrible!—for the first 30 hours, then pretty bad for the next 100. Whether you are "skeptical" about burn-in or not, it's quite real and observable, especially with the NO. Leave it playing for a for a good six or seven days before forming an opinion.
I convert high-rez PCM to DSD as well. I find it works very well. My advice: don't worry so much about the theory and just give it a listen. It won't take you long to figure out what you prefer.
Austinpop, the preferences look very much like mine. I believe upsampling is forced on the main screen, in the four drop-downs. I use, going from (left to right),  poly-sinc-2s/DSD7/5644800/SDM (DSD). This should force all PCM to be upsampled to DSD128. If you want DSD files to be played back without upsampling, which sounds best to me, go to the "file" menu at the top of the screen, choose "DSDIFF/DSD settings," and check the box that says "DirectSDM." That should do it....
Hey austinpop— I use HQPlayer with my Codex. I find that I prefer its sound—and not by a small margin—to Roon, Amarra and Audirvana+. Of course the UX is a bear to use and it's very processor intensive. To use Roon as a remote application for HQPlayer, you need either a very powerful computer (like a quad-core i7 with lots of RAM) or two computers. But, in my experience, the SQ justifies the hassle.  To answer your question, upsampling PCM files to DSD 128 sounds best to...
Not in my experience. I have balanced Pono cables for all my phones. Some sound quite different in balanced mode, while others (like the W3000ANV) do not. What I'm saying is that the NightOwl sounds hugely different, and entirely better, in balanced mode.
Just got a balanced cable for the NightOwls and am kind of stunned. The sound of this headphone changes more dramatically with a switch to balanced topology than any I've heard. Using a Pono Player, I couldn't believe the improvement. Everything is better: drive, tone color, detail, presence, detail and dynamics. With ultrasuede pads and a balanced cable, the combination of NO and PP now sounds better than anything I've owned. It makes both the Senn HD800 and AT W3000ANV,...
Honestly, I'm not sure whether it's changed. The soundstage is still pretty vast for a closed headphone. I also have the AT 3000ANV here, and it doesn't even come close in terms of soundstage. I hear the Nightowl's soundstage as being wider than my HD650's as well (though, of course, the HD650 sounds more open).
I'm at 200 hours with the Nightowls and love them to bits. They are rich and creamy, and really open sounding for a closed headphone. They also excel at emotional engagement, the most important criterion for me, and at this they are better than any of the dozens headphones I've owned. Congratulations Skylar!    A few notes—the ultrasuede pads eliminate the bit of congestion I hear with the stock pleather pads, and shift the tonal balance upward toward the midrange. It's...
Hi, I'm hearing a slight channel imbalance in my pair of Annies. Anyone know how to address/fix this?   Never mind, figured it out. It was the pads not sealing.
Hi everone, I'm in the midst of some financial nonsense and selling my beloved Annies. This pair is a bit unusual.   http://www.head-fi.org/t/827786/fs-audio-technica-w3000anv-japan-with-balanced-option-alpha-dog-pads