or Connect

Posts by Packgrog

OK, so...   The old Nomad can be found probably for around $800 or less. Keep trolling ebay or audiogon or whatever. Be aware that the headphone amp is not replaceable, and the phono preamp is not defeatable. It's all or nothing with that one.   The new Nomad is supposed to have an upgradeable headphone amp (last I heard) and DEFINITELY a defeatable phono preamp. I think they may have made other improvements as well.   I'm not sure if the amp would be a proper match...
  *twitch* I didn't realize. Haven't really used my Atrios much since moving to the Philly area. If only I had some cash on hand, I'd trek over there and pick up the G10 immediately... :(
Breaking out some thread necromancy here, in hopes of some updated feedback...   My iBasso D1 with HiFlight TopKit is getting more than a little long in the tooth. It's a wonderful match with my Lawton-modded D2000, and considerably more enjoyable a listening experience than the iBasso D7 (murky and bass-heavy) or the Benchmark DAC1 (grainy, harsh).   I'm concerned about seeing the DAC1 listed as a recommended component on the first page of this thread, as I really...
 Whaaat? I find that difficult to believe, unless what you consider "standard size" is different from what Shure uses and what Future Sonics has used since the days of the EM3. I can't imagine them changing the tube size, as it would make all of their existing accessories obsolete, as well as alienating any customers who'd bought the not-inexpensive Softerwear custom plugs for their previous models.
You would need a line-level ADC, rather than one that takes a phono input. Something like an EMU 0204 would work well, for considerably less money. Blue Jeans cable can build the necessary decent quality shielded custom cables for connecting between RCA and 1/4". 
 Hardly pointless. The fact that it stimulated the OP's interest in vinyl, I'd say there's a very good point in his review, particularly when he stated outright that he was "part of the Nomad's target audience".  Having demoed the unit myself, and having had a fair bit of experience with turntables at this point, I added some info to back up the OP's statements and try to make the thread a little more helpful. Did you miss that bit? Don't be a jerk, man. Better someone's...
 Total sidebar here, in the midst of my jealousy over that Traveler: I would highly recommend checking out the Herbie's MedicinBalls in place of the standard balls for that Gingko platform. I had a Gingko Cloud 10 for a while, and while my turntable (Michell Tecnodec) was too damned light for the Cloud to work properly, IMO, the MedicinBalls were a pretty noticeable improvement over the standard ones. And once again, regarding the complaints about the price point, I'm...
The Nomad's outputs are line level, since you can't bypass the build-in phono preamp, so yeah, running the output directly into an external headphone amp would probably work just fine. For the HD-600 you would probably need to use an external anyway. The built-in headphone amp isn't THAT powerful.
I did not, but the demo room was also a little noisy, with 6 Nomads set up for demo (or was it 8, I don't remember) and lots of people milling around talking. All the more reason to find a place to demo it with one's own headphones of choice.
FWIW, I attended the launch of the Nomad at SoundStageDirect, and brought along my Lawton-modded AH-D2000. I tried the headphones that they had on the units there, and none were up to snuff compared to my own, IMO.   Now when I say I was very pleasantly surprised by how good the Nomad sound, I should qualify it with my background in the vinyl hobby: I own a Michell Tecnodec with Michell Special RB250 tonearm, Dynavector 10x5 high output moving coil cartridge, Musical...