Posts by Balisarda

Jan Meier is a really upstanding guy! He's a gentleman to deal with, always supportive in his recommendations, trying to figure out what's best for his customers. He still responds quickly and enthusiastically when I tell him about my latest adventures with my Corda HA-2 MkII SE, which I bought maybe six months ago! But one doesn't buy an amp because the designer/builder is a nice guy. The Corda HA-2 is a wonderful little amp. It's a solid-state design and has all the...
There's nothing to excuse! There's no reason you'd know that unless you'd been reading and reading and reading Dr. Peppard's website, trying to figure out as I have whether to order the HD or HD2! (I ordered the HD2, about 10 minutes after I saw indelibo's pictures of his new amp.)
I can't express how much I admire you DIYers! You and AMB building those amps, fiddling with the wiring, modding, upgrading, diagnosing, repairing. Gosh! I wouldn't even know where to start!
Does no one know? Or is it just sleepy-Sunday syndrome?
I've seen two versions of the Raytheon 5751 black-plate vacuum tube: Triple-mica, d-getter Double-mica, windmill-getter Does anyone know how these two tubes sound in comparison to each other? Thank you! Eric.
Bump.
If I recall correctly, the RSA Tomahawk was designed to drive IEMs like your Shure. Even if it's not the smallest, it may be one of the best available.
You've got a vast collection! Which one(s) do you like most? Why? Do you like different cans for different music?
Thanks for the review, kimsnarf! I completely agree with your opinions of the DT 880. I was a little sad to see you so down on the HD 650, though I agree with about half of what you said. I think removing the foam that covers the drivers remedies most of your complaints. I haven't heard the DT 990, but I've seen other opinions of it that agree closely with yours. We part company at the K701, however, which I think is at its absolute worst with vocals. It's otherwise a very...
I think cables--whether power cords, interconnects, or headphone cables--should be absolutely your last resort, because I think they make by far the least difference. If you think the HD 650 sounds a little dark, try removing the foam that covers the drivers. (Gently pull on the earpads (don't jerk) until they pop out. Then lift the foam out and pop the earpads back on.) The sound will be brighter and more immediate, a little more Grado-like, and you won't have spent...