Posts by Balisarda

I have the HD-650, run it with a Berning micro-ZOTL, and couldn't be more pleased! I know it costs more new than you want to spend, but perhaps you could find one used. I've done a lot of tube rolling, which has added GREATLY to the effective cost of the amp, but I've also tailored the sound of the amp to my exact taste, which I like.
I'm unfamiliar with Granite Audio's amps, but my micro-ZOTL uses two 12AT7 tubes in its input stage, and I've rolled numerous 12AU7 tubes into that position. Among current-production tubes, I don't think you can do better than the Electro-Harmonix Gold 12AU7. It's available from BOI AudioWorks (excellent service, by the way). Among NOS tubes, my favorite is the Siemens E82CC (European nomenclature for the 12AU7). They're available from Upscale Audio (also excellent...
If anyone is knows both the Meier HA-2 MkII SE and the Sugden Headmaster, I'd greatly appreciate a comparison. Head-fi forum users seem to regard both amps highly, but I've found no direct comparison of the two. Thanks! I'd particularly appreciate comments regarding musicality (grr--vague), timbre reasilsm, dynamics, and the tightness of bass control. From other threads, I gather neither amp is edgy or exagerated in its treble or flabby in its bass. I also gather both...
I've tried numerous 12AT7 tubes in my ZOTL with an HD-650. None of the current production tubes have compared to the NOS tubes. My favorite by far is the Sylvania Gold Brand 6201: its dynamics match any I've heard, its bass is very good, but the thing that strikes me most is its natural timbre: voices and instruments sound startlingly real and intimate. I'll be rolling NOS 6SN7 tubes next. Of the current production tubes I've tried, the best I've found is the...