Posts by Balisarda

I use 1940s Sylvania VT-231, too, and love them. The tubes have such a natural ease--no hardness or grain--that it blows me away. There's also plenty of extension on both ends and plenty of detail. I've tried numerous others, NOS and current production, and none have come close.
I get hissing when I use interconnects that aren't well shielded. Blue Jeans Cables offers excellent cables (with great shielding) at very low prices. I've been extremely satisfied with every purchase I've made from them. Perhaps more importantly, I've always experienced vanishingly low noise floors when using their cables. Sometimes a mediocre source can contribute to noise, too. But you may not have that problem.
As I understand it: First, choose a lossless encoding format. A lossy encoding format compacts the ripped file by throwing away certain information stored on the CD. Second, when ripping the CD, use a media player that offers error checking. That way, the media player will check the bits ripped against the bits on the CD, and ensure that all the CD bits have been transferred correctly. Together, you ensure that you get all the information onto your hard drive that...
Thanks for your comments! I am using ASIO4ALL v2.8. I've corrected my original post. Your suggestion that foobar2000's greater buffer requirement is because it uses an ASIO plug-in sounds eminently reasonable. I was disheartened to learn that I'm not using native ASIO. Can you tell me how I can? Best, Eric.
J. River Media Center appears to be a more-efficient player than fubar2000. On my laptop, Media Center requires only a third the buffer offset of foobar2000 for clean playback. Both Media Center 12.0.451 and fubar2000 0.9.5.1 are configured on my laptop. Both players are set to ASIO playback using ASIO4ALL v2.8 with minimum buffering (100 ms). ASIO4ALL is set to its minimum ASIO buffer (64 samples) and minimum latency compensation (0 samples). The Echo Indigo DJ...
Hi there. I use the Echo Indigo DJ on my laptop. I play WMA Lossless files on J. River Media Center using the ASIO4ALL driver. The clicking sounds you describe may result from your buffer being too small. It's most likely NOT a damaged sound card. Using the (free) ASIO4ALL driver, I have the following settings. ASIO buffer size: 64 samples. Latency compensation: 0. Use hardware buffer: checked. Buffer offset: 2 milliseconds. I've found that enabling the hardware...
S/PDIF output is digital. Any soundcard that outputs in S/PDIF will send out the same 1s and 0s. Audible differences in sound quality between digital sources probably result from differences in the accuracy of the clocks controlling the digital output. An inaccurate clock will introduce timing inaccuracies into the output of the S/PDIF signal. If the DAC doesn't buffer the incoming digital signal and reclock it, those timing inaccuracies will be translated into jitter...
I own an Etymotic ER-4S (in-ear) and a Sennheiser HD 650 (circumaural). In-ear 'phones provide a lot of isolation from outside noise. As a result, fine details are more readily noticeable at lower volumes. Circumaural 'phones give me a better sense of space. I'm not speaking of instrument separation or placement. I mean that circumaural 'phones sound more like I'm listening to music in a hall rather than in an anechoic chamber. The ER-4S transmits the music directly...
This may not be news to anyone, but I've been quite struck by it lately. I recently switched from the Sennheiser HD 650 to the Etymotic ER-4S. (I'm in heaven, but that's a story for another thread in another forum.) Since making the switch, I've gone back to my two headphone amps and done some extensive listening. To my surprise, not only are my tube preferences different, but so are my tube impressions! Examples are in order, based on music from my CD1 into my...
Am I so out of touch with popular culture? I thought "make out" means to kiss and "hook up" means to have sex. I didn't think they're equivalents.