Posts by santacore

I just updated my Symphony + IRC 3.0 to version 3.0.2 and now I can't get the software authorize or launch. Be careful when doing the upgrade! I hope the typically poor Amarra tech support will help me fix this soon.
Looking good!
I find the volume control on the Vega extremely useful. With my speaker rig, the sound of Vega direct to amps is great, but I still prefer a preamp in the circuit. That said, if finances were tough and I couldn't afford a good pre, I would happily live with the Vega as a preamp. I typically run the Vega volume in the 60-80 range, which helps give me more range on my headphone amp volume control, and my speaker system preamp. According to the Vega designer, anything above...
I'm with you, the coke bottle tubes have great highs and midrange. Were they fall short in my opinion is in the bass. I like a tight, fast, bass sound and some of the older tubes sound too round and undefined for me. The GB I'm currently using helps with that, but probably gives up some of the mid magic and soundstage. I guess everything has it's trade off.....
Am I the only one using a 5U4GB tube in the Stratus??? I think I have an RCA in there right now. I actually preferred it to some of my vintage 5U4G coke bottle style tubes.
I hear ya man and respect where you are coming from. I try to stay informed or do research before purchasing, but some times the impulse buy gets the best of me. One of those impulses was the High West brand, which I really like, even though they don't actually distill any/many of their current offerings.   I'm currently enjoying Parker's Heritage "Promise of Hope" release. Not a widely praised release, but I really enjoy it.
I haven't tried the Corner Creek because of the very mixed reviews, but I do really like Rowans Creek. In the mid 30's price range it is one of my favorites. I still haven't flipped for the Noah's Mill, but I'm sure I would dig it. I like most of the KDB stuff.
Amarra has always been my favorite sounding player, but lately I switched to A+ just for a change. When the Amarra 3.0 upgrade came out, I switched back a few days ago. My past preferences still hold true, I prefer the sound of Amarra. I've always felt it had more resolution and depth, but with a more relaxed and musical sound. A+ has always seemed more modern and in your face to my ears. I will say that A+ seems a little bit more stable, which is  a plus, but not enough...
Funny enough my WyWires USB cable replaced my Locus Designs Axis. Lee was a great dude, and made great cables, but I preferred the WyWires in my system. RIP Lee....
Nice story Mike, thanks for sharing!! I started out with WyWires years ago trying some of their power cords. The cables were really great and Alex was a pleasure to deal with, so those cables snowballed into IC's and USB cables for my speaker rig. He's seen me through many unbalanced/balanced system changes. When I heard Alex was prototyping headphone cables, I knew I would be buying those too. As usual, the WyWires cables seem to hit on every level while always remaining...