or Connect

Posts by billybob_jcv

I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones that I bought new in 1980. I have replaced the foam in the pads a couple of times. They still sound great. These are entirely plastic headphones. The time a headphone lasts depends on both the build quality and how you care for them.
I used to work at a downtown building. At lunch, we would walk to the many restaurants within a 5 block radius. That area had quite a few resident street people that we would see almost every day. After a while, we started making up names for them: 1) "Stinky" - this dude simply reeked! It was no joke - his stench would make you gag. He would walk up to you with his hand out, and in a really raspy voice he would croak: "spare some change" As soon as we saw him, we...
This is why having all that code running in your car is bad... http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/24/fiat-chrysler-recall In my experience, this is a fundamental truth: HW companies that write SW is a recipe for disaster. Every time they try to create more than simple firmware to manipulate the HW, bad things happen.
There is one way to read a review that you will know you can trust with 100% certainty: Write your own.
InnerFidelity is part of the same corporate entity that owns Stereophile and Sound & Vision. As for TAS, well, quite frankly, I'm actually quite happy those guys aren't really part of the head-fi community. If I want to learn new adjectives and poetic phrases that have no basis in science, I read TAS...
I think you are confusing a community full of shills with a community that has a strong working relationship with manufacturers. To see the difference, you need to attend a big head-fi meet, like a CanJam. Community members & manufacturers freely flow from one side of the table to the other. I'm not saying that there are no shills on head-fi - of course there are - but there are also many, many people that are passionate about this hobby and some of those people also...
Contract phone deals are very country-specific.
We're going to argue useless semantics - but I'll just give my own, simplistic definition: "Canalphones are earphones that are designed to fit in the outer ear canal." This is contrasted with IEMs, which I define as: "Inner Ear Monitors are earphones that are designed to fit in the inner ear canal." Ear buds, I define as any earphones that have a housing generally shaped like this: Therefore, under my definitions, some canalphones are buds, and all buds are...
I have not heard those JVCs - but I find bud-style canal 'phones incredibly uncomfortable and I very much prefer IEMs or on-ear. I would probably just get a pair of Koss PortaPros or KSC-75. At $10, there are no magic answers - it's just a matter of trying to find something that sounds "not bad" to you.
I think you have your answer. The majority of the head-fi community that wears IEMs want IEMs that sound good - and that usually means they also isolate very well. Otherwise, you end-up with the cr@ppy buds that came with your phone. Now, if you are actually talking about supraaural clip-on 'phones, like the KSC-75 or the ATH-EW9, those are often seen as simply portable headphones for folks that can't stand wearing deep insertion IEMs. For me, if I am walking in...