Posts by 3X0

The 6KHz spike masks quite a bit of the treble above it. The treble response from 8KHz-10KHz or so is recessed.
+1. Much prefer my AH-D2000s.
Headband or earpads?Headband would be tricky to replace as it is partially glued on...
That's the snafu. If they're trying to make their headphones the best in isolation from a technical perspective, they have to test them. I would question the notion that aspects such as the stator design,spacing, diaphragm material, et cetera were conjectured by technical hypotheses or experiential guesswork without proofs. I don't mean they are "voiced" in a strict sense, but certainly evaluation of their design decisions must derive from pairing what they have available...
Yes. The hypothesis frequently posited is that the Stax-branded amplifiers (besides the 717, 727, and maybe the 323S [?]) tend to be less consistent performers in driving a "challenging" load (the SR-007Mk1 is frequently the load brought into example). If this is true and the SR-009 was evaluated in development with a Stax amplifier that couldn't handle the load, it could have some interesting implications for the performance of the unit on amplifiers that can vis-a-vis...
I think n3rdling also summarized it rather well that perceived brightness might actually be the product of neutral amplification, in which case it might be argued that the KG amps are objectively closer to ideal.The amplifier's interaction with the load might affect the perceived tonal balance. This might explain why I prefer the tonal balance of the SR-009 with "lesser" amps. Hard to say without measurements (amp+load, measured at transducer) to corroborate.You bring up...
I wouldn't write off the experiences of others unless you've had personal experience with the pairing. When the HD 800 is modified (properly), the result has audibly reduced treble response that has been confirmed by measurement. This is subjective listening corroborated by objective measurement, whereas the availability of the latter in Stax pairings has been relatively lacking.Given the SR-009 was designed with the SRM-T1 and SRM-727, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if...
I've always wondered what Stax is using for voicing behind-the-scenes. The only option in their pedigree that would be ostensibly comparable to aftermarket solutions would be the SRM-T2 but I can't fathom them maintaining a unit in-house for that long and making R&D/voicing judgments with it. If (big if) one were to determine with complete certainty that the SR-009 was voiced with the SRM-727 for example, it would make a bit more sense. For one, the pairing doesn't have...
Yes, the violin has harmonics that extend into the top of our threshold of hearing. I would be curious, again, to see a comparison of the measurements of the SR-007 and SR-009 from the SRM-T1, SRM-717, KGSSHV, BHSE, ECE, et alia. Realistically I'm only concerned about the linear and nonlinear performance above 1KHz as the higher registers have been my only pain point with the KGSSHV. Such would help me better understand what I perceive. It's quite possible the Omega off...
I don't just find the HD 800 bright, I find it intolerable. The Mk1 on the KGSSHV is very good. I never suggested it being bright. Yes, the SR-009 isn't as bad as the HD 800. It doesn't have to be bright -- I've heard it rather agreeable sometimes. Thanks for that counterpoint. Have you tried the SR-009 on, say, the EC Electra?