Posts by 3X0

One or two years ago. http://www.soulution-audio.com/en/serie5/560/index.phphttp://www.soulution-audio.com/en/serie7/760/index.php US$35k and US$50k respectively.
I can characterize the HE90 out of the T2 as having a euphonic, rich midrange (lends a nice "glowing" quality to vocals and string harmonics), extremely diffuse imaging and weak lower-bass response. It works reasonably well with acoustic, orchestral and opera pieces but I find it sorely lacking for rock, jazz or electronic mostly due to the anemic bass response. The imprecise imaging is quite noticeable as sounds appear to emanate out of nowhere; the specific images remain...
So my latency variance was mostly improved by setting the minimum CPU state to 100% in Windows. I believe this is equivalent to disabling Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (EIST) and/or setting the High Performance power profile. For my Haswell system this disables all of the intermediary processor states between 4.4GHz@1.2v and 1.2GHz@0.7v. Mean latency is still 1.7-1.8ms but LatencyMon doesn't indicate any problems and neither does listening.   Interestingly this comes at...
Out of the T2 I can't think of a single thing the HE90 does better than the Omega. I've heard a positive impression of the Aristaeus + Omega in the past, but it's nice to see it reinforced. Interestingly I wasn't crazy about the Omega out of the BHSE.
I can't speak for all X99 motherboards or CPUs. My ASRock motherboard is in the ITX format so it's possibly a little compromised relative to a larger motherboard -- unfortunately I'm not aware of any tools that would allow me to test for DPC latency accurately on Windows 10 for comparative purposes. I also have a 5960X with fairly aggressive power-handling features (i.e. to fit within the specified thermal design power). While it runs at 4.4GHz for heavy loads, it...
Hmm, not sure I want to disable C1E and/or EIST. I imagine C3-C7 states would reduce latency variance, but not the mean. The variance is likely a bigger deal than the average anyway.
Interesting. My primary NIC (X99E-ITX/ac) is the I218-V and my average latency is just below 2ms with peaks of up to 4ms. I notice many of the builds with sub-1ms typical latency seem to be built around the Skylake platform.
Different types of coloration. The HE90 has a certain richness rather than hardness. Don't really agree WRT HE90 vs. Omega but I don't have an Aristaeus (yet). I wonder how the SRX-Plus would do actually...
While this cost comparison might be appropriate for a more DIY-centric community, I don't think this is a fair assessment unless a SRX-Plus can be purchased or commissioned anywhere close to this amount. Can't discredit the prospect of the SRX-Plus performance (having not yet heard one), but I do know the 009 + HV is not TOTL by my standards. For the same $5-6k street I think it would be possible to eke something preferable out of the Utopia.
Fair point. It's interesting you mention harmonics as I find the representation (sometimes lack thereof) of string harmonics, percussion decay and spatial cues on the 009 to be problematic. Relative to the Omega I found that it traded away too much fine resolution for the sake of macrodetail and I have to wonder if this extends vis-a-vis the 007 as well. I can't say how the Utopia compares in these respects given I've only experienced it in meet conditions, but it would...