Posts by 3X0

Interesting, because NOS DACs introduce aliasing and intermodulation products (sometimes into audible range). My DAC has a NOS filter switch but I generally leave it disengaged. I initially believed it subjectively more pleasing with my HD 800 but I'll have to re-evaluate as it might be "smearing" the sound more than the non-aliasing mode (due to the aforementioned intermodulation and aliasing products).
Any advice for long-term storage? I'm probably not going to be using my SR-Omega for quite a while, so my concerns are functional integrity and preservation of the parts. They'll be in the original paulownia box. So far I can only think of ensuring the pins are shorted out before storage (to prevent long-term parasitic charges) and some desiccant in the box. I want to make sure the foam and pads don't deteriorate either. Not sure why this is so common on the Sigma and...
Strawman argument.Argumentum ad populum + Appeal to authority + Inducive fallacy + Misuse of anecdotal evidence + (possibly) Confirmation bias All ABX/DBT that has not been properly level-matched (preferably with low switching times) can safely be discarded from consideration. As mentioned above, the need for proper A/D conversion is a hefty consideration for investments in studio equipment.
I suspect he meant allusion rather than analogy. The tale is alluded to when suggesting collective ignorance.
In no universe is a non-level-matched experiment "pretty solid." Variance in output levels has one of the largest impacts on perceived sound quality.With sufficient trials by a single individual it would be at least possible to prove the statistical validity for one person (provided the proper controls are in place). To this end level-matching is essential -- among other things like tightly controlled switching times to compensate for echoic memory.
I wouldn't conclude much from the results unless the cans were explicitly level-matched within 0.2dB (e.g. at 1KHz).
Look elsewhere. The TH600 has a midbass hump that obfuscated some of the sub-bass. The older Denons (except the D5000) have their midbass more in-line with the sub-bass.
Preference: 1. SR-Omega 2. OG JH13 3. HD 800 4. K845BT Subjectively observed capabilities: 1. SR-Omega 2. HD 800 3. OG JH13 4. K845BT Head time: 1. HD 800 2. K845BT 3. OG JH13 4. SR-Omega
Oh, I know. The effect that many will notice outright will be the reduction of amplitude from the upper-midrange on upwards (2.5-5KHz+). The reduced ringing and improved decay characteristics will be appreciated by fewer, discriminating ears. EQ would achieve a similar effect to the tonal balance, but you wouldn't gain the ancillary benefits of reduced baffle reflections and improved decay characteristics. I'm pretty sensitive to upper midrange/lower treble peakiness and a...
Nothing.Also valid. I went with the EQ route as I am not confident in my ability to reproduce those results; the consistency of a DIY modification of this nature seems a bit suspect. In my case PEQ only "corrects" perceived frequency response (or more broadly, performance in linear terms), whereas the modification alters other factors such as housing resonances and decay performance.