or Connect

Posts by 3X0

I can't speak for all X99 motherboards or CPUs. My ASRock motherboard is in the ITX format so it's possibly a little compromised relative to a larger motherboard -- unfortunately I'm not aware of any tools that would allow me to test for DPC latency accurately on Windows 10 for comparative purposes. I also have a 5960X with fairly aggressive power-handling features (i.e. to fit within the specified thermal design power). While it runs at 4.4GHz for heavy loads, it...
Hmm, not sure I want to disable C1E and/or EIST. I imagine C3-C7 states would reduce latency variance, but not the mean. The variance is likely a bigger deal than the average anyway.
Interesting. My primary NIC (X99E-ITX/ac) is the I218-V and my average latency is just below 2ms with peaks of up to 4ms. I notice many of the builds with sub-1ms typical latency seem to be built around the Skylake platform.
Different types of coloration. The HE90 has a certain richness rather than hardness. Don't really agree WRT HE90 vs. Omega but I don't have an Aristaeus (yet). I wonder how the SRX-Plus would do actually...
While this cost comparison might be appropriate for a more DIY-centric community, I don't think this is a fair assessment unless a SRX-Plus can be purchased or commissioned anywhere close to this amount. Can't discredit the prospect of the SRX-Plus performance (having not yet heard one), but I do know the 009 + HV is not TOTL by my standards. For the same $5-6k street I think it would be possible to eke something preferable out of the Utopia.
Fair point. It's interesting you mention harmonics as I find the representation (sometimes lack thereof) of string harmonics, percussion decay and spatial cues on the 009 to be problematic. Relative to the Omega I found that it traded away too much fine resolution for the sake of macrodetail and I have to wonder if this extends vis-a-vis the 007 as well. I can't say how the Utopia compares in these respects given I've only experienced it in meet conditions, but it would...
Even if the midrange hardness is intrinsic to the drivers it can be ameliorated via amplification unless it's caused by the housing or resonances. FWIW some type of coloration in the midrange does indeed seem to be a common impression among those that have heard the Utopia (myself included) but I believe to-date most impressions have been from mediocre solid-state amplifiers. For me personally I'd probably take the Utopia's slightly iffy midrange over the...
It costs $3k+ in amplification to drive Stax at/near TOTL levels.There may be some ~$1k amplifier pairings for the Utopia that might upset the value proposition.I wasn't overly enthused with the Utopia at first listen but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the blame was upstream of the transducers.
Given that some users are having trouble with dropouts using OSX, I wonder if the problems are driven by software/OS or hardware issues. I agree that CPU usage is not a likely factor, but even a NIC optimized in both hardware/software terms could be kneecapped by a motherboard with intrinsically high DPC latency.
Have any of you folks still suffering from dropouts/latency spikes tried this?: http://www.windowscentral.com/assign-specific-processor-cores-apps-windows-10   I'm wondering if assigning 1-2 cores to (1) a media player and (2) Dante Virtual Soundcard might ameliorate the problem.