Posts by Henry Flower

Annual reminder: the eclassical Christmas promotion runs from now until Christmas: http://www.eclassical.com/pages/christmas2013.html . 50% discounts daily on BIS and another label: this year, Harmonia Mundi. The first BIS offering is another from the BCJ cantata series, and Suzuki also supplies today's daily deal (Goldberg variations).
There should be basically no configuration needed for the E17; all that might be necessary is specifying use of the USB rather than onboard DAC, as in my step 10. If raspbian comes with pulseaudio (I suspect it does) you have the choice of using it (some people think it's the devil's work); removing it (can be tricky); or ignoring it and using ALSA (should be possible, but I don't know the details). I use pulseaudio on my laptop and ALSA on the pi (both Arch) and don't...
There are a lot of different permutations, depending on what soundcard you're using, where you're going to store your files, and how you want to access your music.   Assuming you're going for the same end result as me, steps 1-3 should be the same, just using the raspbian image instead. Step 4 might need a different root password, while the update command will be different (apt-get update?). Less setting up will be required in step 6, as raspbian does more for...
I have the Willcocks--Robert Tear and Shirley-Quirk are top class singers, and there's nothing _wrong_ with this performance, but performance practices have come a long way in 30 years (largely, in my opinion, for the better). I assume you have your reasons for seeking a performance in English, but it's very rarely I would listen to this rather than Suzuki or Gardiner doing the original text. Bach is worth brushing up one's German for.
Not a recommendation as such, but a pointer: Celibidache is very ... different. ;)
I've had no problems at all with the E17 and the Pi (procedure described in the post which Soul_Est linked to above).   I did have problems when I used my old EMU 0202 USB DAC (clicking and eventual boot problems), but it turns out the EMU was on its last legs. I've no reason to think other people would have the same issues.
These are my notes on how to do this. I assume an existing Linux box and some familiarity with the usual tools.   Download the install image, then dd onto your card thusly: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi . If your card appears as something like "/dev/mmcblk0p1", dd it to /dev/mmcblk0, not p1 etc. Remove and reinsert the card, and increase the main partition size as much as you like in gparted. Boot. Ssh in. Your router should provide a dhcp...
If you feel you deserve an Easter present: the Bach Passions, Oratorios and B-minor Mass from the Bach Collegium Japan for $40.
A couple of notables: Hyperion are offering Angelika Kirchschlager's Liszt disc for a low price (£5.60 -- http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67934%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&vw=dc), while on February 1 (Swedish time?) only, the Minnesota Orchestra's BIS recordings (basically their Beethoven cycle with Vanska) will be half price on eclassical.
There are at least two Antarctic symphonies, by Vaughan Williams and Maxwell Davies, both of which are splendid. The Vaughan Williams is more traditional and perhaps more approachable, while Maxwell Davies had the advantage of actually visiting the place, so you might find it more authentic.   [Added] It seems that the Maxwell Davies isn't available on disc, so that one may not work out!