Posts by khbaur330162

I have no idea how powerful that laser is, tbh. Burning away the Copper with a laser doesn't sound like the right approach to me, though, at least if we're trying to make an ortho diaphragm for headphones. I just figure if the laser is burning through your Copper layer it's also obliterating the few microns of Kapton you've got underneath it. Maybe for speaker use? Making loooong cuts in Aluminum tape that are meant to be adhered separately to the diaphragm substrate,...
Yeah. I wonder if you could miniaturize the plasma arc element enough to be suitable for IEM/canalphone use. Like what types of materials/fabrication processes would be involved, and if it even makes sense to think about. Perhaps a dynamic woofer to vent the enclosure of ozone? And then maybe a line array of like nine tiiiny plasma arc drivers sparkin' away? Not sure if the line array idea does anything for us here, maybe makes it safer since you can control the smaller...
1. Actually, the "grid" you mention could benefit diaphragm stability much like the zig-zag traces on the T50RP. Here's a picture of a somewhat unique diaphragm circuit layout using a grid of smaller square magnets like you imagined. The patent goes into further detail on everything, but I just wanted to post that picture so you could see the flux lines jumping from North to South between all the magnets. You can play with the right hand rule and the direction of current...
The MakerJuice Flex resin looks interesting. I think you could print an entire Grado style headband and whatever cups you want out of the Flex and Stiff resins, but Idk what any of the stuff is like irl, or how well it would hold up over time to everyday usage. But a couple Grado-clone yokes and friction set hinge/head size adjuster boxes, driver housings, baffle adapters that accept whatever pads you want, all out of the Stiff resin, few screws to keep it all together...
Jennifer has some videos up of her using her product. Fast forward to 1:00 to see her unroll, slice up, and laminate some of her film onto a blank.     PurEtch is not a "special" product, really, there are many other photosensitive films that you can use in exactly similar fashions. The cool thing about PurEtch, imo, is how thin the photosensitive layer is. If you check out the link I provided directing you to the 3D printing forums you'll notice the Peachy Printer...
Cool update for those interested. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.php?3190-Exposing-Photopolymer-Laminated-Copper-Clad-Boards-With-A-Peachy&p=17286&viewfull=1#post17286 Looks promising for a preliminary trial run, imo.
I don't think the heat involved with laser printing is an issue, and I'm pretty sure it can be used as a direct print etch resist. Sounds really, really cheap. Probably the easiest method if the resolution is up to the task, which I'm fairly certain it is. Easily worth looking into if someone's got some metallized film that they can feed through a laser printer. I've looked into methods for tensioning the diaphragm, settled on clips, string, weights and pulleys, but...
 Will be interesting to see what we can cook up in here, glad to have you on the team! I've been "on vacation" from this hobby for so long I almost have no idea what kinds of equipment and music would jump out at me at a meet like that. I'll think about it, it sounds like fun. There are lots of guys using Aluminum tape over in the diyaudio forum. Not sure how that method would...
So far I've designed a rudimentary planar magnetic circuit layout, yes, and I've only gotten maybe halfway through the process of creating an active planar magnetic diaphragm. The resolution on the current design can probably go even finer given the methodology I think I've pieced together in my mind to make it, but I don't yet have the equipment. I've found a very interesting supplier of flexible Copper-clad Kapton. Very thin substrate layer options and ample conductor...
I think this is a sick thread. Are there any people out there thinking about an "Open Source" audiophile community where we share ideas freely on printing our own -and/or simply where to source- various headphone parts, including drivers such as electrostatic or planar magnetic designs? I think it'd be really cool if there were DIY headphone designs and headphone kits just like the DIY amplifiers and stuff. If that community existed would this be our thread, or might we...