or Connect

Posts by dBel84

Is your cable actually damaged or are you concerned that it is old? The original cables actually impart some of the character to the HP1 so I have stopped trying to replace them if I can. Mogami quad mic cable is a pretty good fit in the US ( in order to reuse the strain relief ) . ..dB
Hi and thanks for sharing your impressions. I agree that this amp has an incredible footprint - small but surprisingly substantial in that very sleek understated "stealth" look of Alex's products. I was surprised that you felt it smoothed things out and made poor MP3's tolerable as my experience with this amp has been anything but. Poor recordings grate worse than any number of nails on a chalkboard and peaky headphones are barely tolerable to my ears.   I do not own the...
As Radio_head noted and Alex posted previously in the LAu thread , the cost came down but the quality has stayed the same or even improved due to improved manufacture process..dB   
I think people have varied opinions and I can respect that, having spent time with the WA5 it is not my "cup of tea" , more of a tube lovers amp and the LAu was leaps ahead for my personal preferences. I am one of those people who feel the LAu and Abyss were made for one another, just incredible synergy and with a detail oriented dac in front , the micro and macro detail is incredible with a realistic soundstage and positively forceful slam when it counts. It also helps...
It looks like a mod - there is hot glue on the side ..dB
Joe can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the driver is essentially floating free - no damping materials like most planar headphones were needed due to the "thinness" of the driver membrane and the strength of the magnets. As an orthohead who has modified practically every headphone I own, I have not attempted to open these. Mostly out of fear for destroying the driver ( more than a few stories of screws / instruments being pulled from the work bench through into...
The simplest way to deal with the cable is to reterminate it - I really detest the 2x 3-pin idea and removed them almost immediately.    I am perhaps not the most unbiased person when it comes to Cavalli amps but I have yet to hear an amp that performs as well as the LAu with the Abyss, and I have heard a fair number of them. It just gets out of the way but at the same time is authorative and delivers very clean power. It resolves detail without adding any additional...
Great set of measurements, it reminds me why the HD600 retains such a following..dB
Funny you should ask , the Dr has been hibernating in  freezing Texas and all sorts of magic is said to be unraveling..dB