or Connect

Posts by dBel84

With the balanced connections plugged in and driving headphones, the amp is very active. If you plug in a TRS jack ..... 1. You create a dead short from one of the output rails to ground  = instant overload   - several amps have been destroyed in this way, the most spectacular was probably the B22 at a meet which was hot swapped while trying to compare various headphones, it literally went up in smoke.   - please treat these devices with respect, any headphone amp should...
The reason behind this is because the tubes are not meant to be rolled , rather if new tubes needed to be placed, it would be easier to remove the access cover than to open the entire amp.    The crimson's sound signature is not nearly as dependent on the tube as for example, the glass ( which in turn was designed to be the tube rollers dream amp )    I am equally to blame when it comes to rolling tubes in this design though, it is an itch that needs to be scratched ,...
Speaker amps are at much greater risk and most manufacturers will recommend shutting the amp down before changing input cables let alone speaker cables. FWIW headphone amps are equally at risk which is why at minimum the volume should be turned down to minimum when pulling out (or inserting) a TRS jack. There have been a few spectacular amp failures at meets when people are "hot swapping" headphones for comparison.    Glad your amp and headphones survived the...
A note from one of the judges:   I wanted to congratulate many of you with some pure genius when it came to creative naming options. It didn't make the judging process easy and it took several rounds of deliberation and trimming some truly great possibilities before we could unanimously agree on the winning name. For those who did not include "liquid" in the title, do not be disheartened 2/5 of the final contenders were not liquid anything. There was an overwhelming...
They are truly a marvel of engineering , enjoy..dB
Well deserved, congrats..dB
100373 107525 104295
 I know that this is really disappointing to people who adopted early ( or at any time really ) , I have had many conversations with Alex about this particular amp run and it weighs heavily on him too. His original intent had been to deliver a low cost amp for everyone, to do this he had to move out of his local manufacture network and he has lost the ability to "keep a finger on the pulse". What many probably have no idea about is how intensive his involvement is with his...
 As BMF says, it was just felt ..... or was it. These had stories behind them and conjure up all sorts of fantasy that truly captured the sound.  aussie felt - quite right that it originated down under but the story goes that an eccentric italian designer ( clothing? ) took fancy to this thick sorta yellow australian wool felt and wanted his entire studio wallpapered with it. Legend has it that once the task was done, he had moved on to mermaid scales and had the entire...
Stock , what blasphemy is this you speak of!  I guess i could allow you the leeway of "proper shape". Mine are indeed in proper shape and sound marvelously rich with deep bass and tinkly highs. :)  many thought that they were the epitome of how orthos should sound ( the original ) but they had to be driven by a behemouth power amp , BUT modern orthos have proven to be far more capable in their technical abilities, so no contest  ..dB