or Connect

Posts by dBel84

Re YH100 price : I can't have been looking too closely but even before the revival, they would average $200 , the highest I saw them go for was close to $400 at the height of vintage Ortho craze. I would have thought $200 - $250 would not be unreasonable and $150 would be a great find.   Even the YHD1 hovers around $200.
Many class A amps require some warm up , but in the order of 20minutes not 48 hours. The warm up that has most people talking is the Yggy - Schist's flagship dad which they recommend is never switched off. I have a vintage R2R dad that was designed without a power switch - probably for this reason and it sounds much better when everything is warmed up too.
 I will second this notion - I am a non believer in burn in but these headphones sounded dramatically different after 72 hours of continual burning in (and I didn't bother listening to them at all during this time) ..dB
No battery. Just standard iec power input. I am guessing transportable due to size.
So for those who missed the relevance of the above post 2 NEW CAVALLI AMPS ( feel a little mercerish with all the caps ;) )        it is not merely a balanced version of the portable but a completely different topology , discrete and balanced front to back    I am very excited about these 2 products, not only because they pushed Alex back to the drawing board to get these amps small ( and quiet ) but also because I think everyone is going to be floored by the price...
Is your cable actually damaged or are you concerned that it is old? The original cables actually impart some of the character to the HP1 so I have stopped trying to replace them if I can. Mogami quad mic cable is a pretty good fit in the US ( in order to reuse the strain relief ) . ..dB
Hi and thanks for sharing your impressions. I agree that this amp has an incredible footprint - small but surprisingly substantial in that very sleek understated "stealth" look of Alex's products. I was surprised that you felt it smoothed things out and made poor MP3's tolerable as my experience with this amp has been anything but. Poor recordings grate worse than any number of nails on a chalkboard and peaky headphones are barely tolerable to my ears.   I do not own the...
As Radio_head noted and Alex posted previously in the LAu thread , the cost came down but the quality has stayed the same or even improved due to improved manufacture process..dB   
I think people have varied opinions and I can respect that, having spent time with the WA5 it is not my "cup of tea" , more of a tube lovers amp and the LAu was leaps ahead for my personal preferences. I am one of those people who feel the LAu and Abyss were made for one another, just incredible synergy and with a detail oriented dac in front , the micro and macro detail is incredible with a realistic soundstage and positively forceful slam when it counts. It also helps...
It looks like a mod - there is hot glue on the side ..dB