or Connect

Posts by dBel84

Thanks for the kind words Warren ..dB
All the very best and I know your vision will take Cavalli Audio into the next era 
@ TomB , thank the stars someone was hanging on to some of the old HW posts. I often think of all the treasured discussion from the DIY forum - crazy amount of aged wizdom no longer available.    @ Headphonejunkie. I would agree with TomB on trying to push the SOHA to the limits - it will be limited by the low B+ and once you build a true high voltage B+ and high current buffer you essentially have the SOHA II which is a technically better amp. Is it the best offering...
Congrats, that is a lovely looking amp ..dB
dBel84   DIY oriented gear - soldering irons, universal parts = exotic volume knobs etc 
 With the balanced connections plugged in and driving headphones, the amp is very active. If you plug in a TRS jack ..... 1. You create a dead short from one of the output rails to ground  = instant overload   - several amps have been destroyed in this way, the most spectacular was probably the B22 at a meet which was hot swapped while trying to compare various headphones, it literally went up in smoke.   - please treat these devices with respect, any headphone amp should...
The reason behind this is because the tubes are not meant to be rolled , rather if new tubes needed to be placed, it would be easier to remove the access cover than to open the entire amp.    The crimson's sound signature is not nearly as dependent on the tube as for example, the glass ( which in turn was designed to be the tube rollers dream amp )    I am equally to blame when it comes to rolling tubes in this design though, it is an itch that needs to be scratched ,...
Speaker amps are at much greater risk and most manufacturers will recommend shutting the amp down before changing input cables let alone speaker cables. FWIW headphone amps are equally at risk which is why at minimum the volume should be turned down to minimum when pulling out (or inserting) a TRS jack. There have been a few spectacular amp failures at meets when people are "hot swapping" headphones for comparison.    Glad your amp and headphones survived the...
A note from one of the judges:   I wanted to congratulate many of you with some pure genius when it came to creative naming options. It didn't make the judging process easy and it took several rounds of deliberation and trimming some truly great possibilities before we could unanimously agree on the winning name. For those who did not include "liquid" in the title, do not be disheartened 2/5 of the final contenders were not liquid anything. There was an overwhelming...
They are truly a marvel of engineering , enjoy..dB