Posts by dBel84

my recommendation would be to look for CBS/Hytron long bottle 12SN7 - a great tube at a reasonable cost.    I was not a fan of the CV181-Z ShuGuang , the original Mullards were another matter entirely.   ..dB 
 no picture, but it is a solid magnet structure which iirc was cut with a water jet . I have been tempted to open them but the possibility of the magnet pulling a screw / screwdriver through the driver has little to no appeal . ( there are stories of this happening during development - hence the need for non magnetic tools ) My curiosity has not risen to levels of insanity yet. 
count me in too ..dB
it is very expensive , and difficult to find a manufacturer who can cut neodynium. Ask Joe to tell you the story behind the AB1266 magnets sometime. 
:) , it is all about context. 
I finally got time to collect my thoughts, just another opinion to toss into the mass :)    There are many ways to approach listening to a new set of headphone in order to try and convey a sense of its strengths and weaknesses. A common scenario is to line up a selection of headphones and set up an A-B comparison. The strength of this approach is that it provides an immediate sense of feedback of the differences between the 2  ( or more ) headphones. This imo, is also a...
Re YH100 price : I can't have been looking too closely but even before the revival, they would average $200 , the highest I saw them go for was close to $400 at the height of vintage Ortho craze. I would have thought $200 - $250 would not be unreasonable and $150 would be a great find.   Even the YHD1 hovers around $200.
Many class A amps require some warm up , but in the order of 20minutes not 48 hours. The warm up that has most people talking is the Yggy - Schist's flagship dad which they recommend is never switched off. I have a vintage R2R dad that was designed without a power switch - probably for this reason and it sounds much better when everything is warmed up too.
 I will second this notion - I am a non believer in burn in but these headphones sounded dramatically different after 72 hours of continual burning in (and I didn't bother listening to them at all during this time) ..dB
No battery. Just standard iec power input. I am guessing transportable due to size.