Posts by mks100

For those looking for a different or replacement cable I just purchased this one and would recommend it.  Not sure if there is an audible difference but it is more manageable for me...   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT7Y90R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just tested with my Vali 2 and Kanto Yumi's.  I unplugged my Headphones and left the 1/4" Adapter in so as not to damage my Headphones.  I turned the Vali 2 up nearly all the way before I heard music coming from the Speakers.  The sound was barely audible.  That being said, the Vali 2 did leak through the Pre Amp outputs with the 1/4" Adapter inserted.
For my HE-400i, Low Gain = 10 O' Clock - 2 O' Clock depending on the Recording.  High Gain = 9 O' Clock - 11 O' Clock.  Only use High Gain if you have the Volume Pot past 9 O' Clock to avoid Channel Imbalance.  Maybe an Urban Legend, but it has served me well over the years with dealing with Amplifiers with High/Low Gain Settings.
I now have the Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH (~ $20) and the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC (~ $45) purchased from Amazon.  I used the Stock Tube for the first 4 Weeks and then added the EH and used it for another 4 Weeks.  I have been burning in the Genalex for the past 72 Hours and listening throughout the process.  I would say Genalex > EH >>> Stock Tube from a Warmth perspective.  I don't think I would purchase a LISST as the Stock Tube almost sounds Solid State in comparison....
I received the Protein Leather/Boost Pads without the Cross Hatch Pattern in the inner cup as well.  I received mine prior to the "Shop AudioQuest" site being online.  I contacted AudioQuest upon receipt and this was the reply... "The leather boost pads have been around since the original NightHawks.  So you may have just received the older stock that didn’t have the markings yet." ...you can tell from the interior material that the Pads are Protein Leather.  Audibly, they...
I have owned the Modi 2 previously and have tried the Fulla 2.  They were both comparable to the DragonFly in terms of resolution.  Perhaps a bit warmer with the AKM in the Modi 2/Fulla 2 vs the ESS Sabre in the DragonFly.  I would save for the Mimby as it is a noticeable upgrade over the Modi 2/Fulla 2/DragonFly and less of a lateral move.  Regardless, I think the Vali 2 and any of these DACs will be a great baseline system for your Headphones.  Improvements past this...
I have this setup (DragonFly Red/Black).  I previously owned the 1.2 as well.  You will just need to set the Volume of the DragonFly to 100%.  IMO the Vali 2 is a significant upgrade from the DragonFly's internal Amplification and should make a noticeable difference with your HD650s.  The DragonFly is a great DAC and comparable to most of the DACs at the $100 - $200 Price Point.  I recently purchased a Mimby (Modi Multibit) and would recommend it is a future upgrade once...
Spent some time this afternoon looking at various Tubes from Upscale Audio (they have 2 minute Video reviews for nearly every 6922 variant they carry).  May try a few from < $50 Club.  At least I know my DAC won't be the weak link.  I think you're going to be pleased with the Mimby.  One of the few products that was actually properly hyped vs. over hyped by the community.
I started with a DragonFly Red/Black w/ an AudioQuest Forrest 3.5mm to RCA Cable and the Vali 2 w/ Stock Tube using Roon w/ Tidal.  I changed the Tube to an Electro Harmonix 6922 a few Weeks back.  I have owned the Modi previously (with the Vali 2 & Stock Tube) as well as the Geek Out V2. I received the Mimby last Week and have it connected with the requisite PYST Cables.  I have also spent time with both Fulla Versions.In my opinion, the Mimby is a significant upgrade and...