Posts by lecky

Do you know whether I'm right in thinking that the bias cap mod is one that would be applicable to the G2 as well? I'm quite happy to copy what I can see, but my technical understanding is nominal, and the differences between the two designs are enough to make me cautious...
I got a Tesla E88CC today (on Buff's recommendation - thanks Buff) and it's already sounding very nice (in the G2, but undoubtedly also so in the original Bravo/Indeed). I can attest to what Buff is saying about the value of getting the right tube, as well as the synergy between a good tube and a big PS cap in delivering a good controlled bass.
There was a development model of the LCD-2 that people tried at a meet last year. However word is that the final production model is fairly substantial different, including a different driver. I look forward to reading if this thread comes into its own again now we have the production LCD-2 near, along with the HE-5LE with its improvements.
Seems like I'm a bit on my own in this thread. Never mind, perhaps someone will find it useful at some point... I fitted the IRL530 Mosfets today, and a couple of days ago fitted a big 10k uF 50v input cap, the effect of the Mosfet change was more marked, really opening up the treble. It's a significant improvement. The crossfeed is also reduced significantly, although not eliminated altogether. My main amp is working again, and whilst my it's certainly better than this...
Is it still Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE)?
Quote: Originally Posted by kwkarth This is truly beginning be become interesting. I suppose if one inserted the light saber in one ear and extended it straight through out the other ear, some may consider that too extreme a way to "clean" one's ears, but to each their own... Would that be a good method of getting natural crossfeed?
To follow up. Certainly the G2 sounds better than earlier models of this kind of amp (Bravo, Indeed, MiriDIY). The original amp has problems with crosstalk and the G2 is not an improvement in this respect, and perhaps a little worse. It's surprising how reasonable the imaging is considering the crosstalk. I'm going to put in some IRL530 Mosfets in, which I understand should extend the highs somewhat and at the same time improve crossfeed because they will make the LM317s...
Quote: Originally Posted by vcoheda i also think that you are somewhat rolling the dice with the gear from china. i thought the sound of the HE5 was pretty good. that makes me interested in the LE version but not sure i want to deal with any potential issues/faults of this model. maybe there are none but the track record at this point is not encouraging. guess we will see. With respect (truly), I don't understand how you get from "gear from China"...
I posted about this little amp, on the Bravo thread - I'll paste my initial thoughts from there: I got my Indeed G2 today, and tried a few tubes in it and compared it to my modestly modded Bravo (2nd iteration of the first design), swapping tubes between them and adjusting bias each time. The first thing that is immediately apparent is that the Bravo has a lot of background noise by comparison. The G2 is absolutely silent. In the G2 fine detail is more apparent, which...
I got my Indeed G2 today, and tried a few tubes in it and compared it to my modestly modded Bravo (2nd iteration of the first design), swapping tubes between them and adjusting bias each time. The first thing that is immediately apparent is that the Bravo is noisy by comparison - meaning background noise. The G2 is absolutely silent. In the G2 fine detail is more apparent, which could be an effect of the low noise floor, but doesn't seem to be. The modded Bravo also has...