Posts by lecky

Before you go into complex mods just test earfanatic's principle. try loosely placing a piece of foam, or even a rolled up length of bubble wrap aove your head. It might be all that's needed. I'm using something like this on a pair of modded and heavy (much more than 840s) Fostex T50RPs, they're now more comfortable on the head than my HD580s.
Quote: Originally Posted by mugdecoffee I got a pair of T50RPv2's a few days ago and have been thoroughly enjoying them in the library. They are my only closed phones and they isolate very well which is great for studying. When they were stock I thought they sounded terrible: no highs, distant sound, everything just seemed blurry. So far I've stuck a pretty thick piece of papery felt type material I found in our basement on the back of the driver which...
Quote: Originally Posted by scompton This really applies to most orthos I've heard. Yamahas aren't quite as bad as the Fostex stock. This includes the HE-5 I heard in a meet last month, at least to my ears. The YH-1000 I heard at the meet was unmodded and sounded pretty good. I've not heard HE-5s but that makes some sense. As you say there aren't too many orthos that sound good stock. I think one of Kabeer's YH-1000s were stock and were...
Quote: Originally Posted by morphon I'm looking for some comparison between these: 1. Stock 2. Basic mods 3. Supermods (there's a thread for the Thunderpants, but no reviews in it yet.) Hi Morphon, I'm somewhere along the journey with my T50RPs, but have heard some Thunderpants. I'm a HD580 owner - essentially the same as the HD600, both are amped adequately in terms of power at least. The basic advantages and otherwise are quite...
Quote: Originally Posted by sachu You should go with dBel84's idea of using Micarta..used in missile shell casings Seems like there are people making micarta with resin and blue denim. Looks very cool, but I think I'll stick with learning to turn wood first...!
I like the idea of bullet proof headphones.
Ah, sorry Zoide, I should have checked the date of the thread.
Yes, Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene, which should indeed be good stuff for the job, as per Smeggy's thunderpant guide. There seems to be a dizzying range of engineering plastics from which to chose. Why use a low-melting-point plastic? Perhaps "Shapelock" might be interesting to play with?
Zoide, if you're thinking about buying the HE-5 new then it's worth knowing that it's about to be replaced by the HE-5LE amongst the supposed benefits of which will be that it is easier to drive, so peoples experience of driving HE-5s may be beside the point... Time will tell...
A question for Smeggy: what are your experiences of using deeper cups for the T50rp thunderpants? You specify about half an inch cup depth, and I presume you tried other depths? What were the advantages or disadvantages that you found of different depths as opposed to a half an inch? Sorry if you've spoken about this already, it's a crazy thread to navigate! I just ordered a sheet of UHMW as a gesture towards starting to thunderpanterize my t50RPs...