Posts by lecky

Mass damping the existing cups and baffles reduces resonances from the cheap plastic from which they're made, there is less nasty plasticky resonant distortion, although no doubt the TP wood and UHMWPE cups and baffles take this a big step further.
O2 pads improve the T50RPs both in sound and comfort. Mass damping the cups and baffles helps the sound and does increase weight but a good strap arrangement like Smeggy uses on his "Thunderpants", or a piece of memory foam, will make them more comfortable than stock. Driver damping adds no discernible weight and can be done to your taste.
Nankai's getting really serious with the proposition of an HE-6. I can sort of imagine saving up for a HE-5LE or an LCD-2 but $1300 - $1600 is a bit beyond my purely imaginary hypothetical budget... I really hope it kicks ass though.   And Kabeer, are the YH-5Ms heading your way? I love the look of them. They look like sci-fi manga technology.
I too have been listening to my M2s for a few days, with some white noise overnight too.   I thought that there was a small discernible effect from burn-in but only really discernible to the low end of complex orchestral music, which became a bit clearer. You would never hear it with most music.   I think ClieOS has it about right.   What I'll add is that the balance of these IEMs is not oriented to acoustic music. Whilst it will do a really pretty job of...
I seem to be in headphone rotation mode... On the ortho front, if anyone would like my Technics EAH-810 PM me, they have basic damping, but could certainly use some fine tuning, and the stock pads are now filled with memory foam, so they're in better shape than when I got them, but I'd be happy to let them go for what I got them for.
I agree that glasses can be a problem both with comfort and on headphones that require a good seal they're a SQ killer. I go the pineapples route and put the arms of the glasses over the phones instead of ears. 
I was going to say make sure the sound enhancer is off if you want a more natural, unprocessed sound. Whether on or off, it's worth playing with the sound enhancer to see which you prefer.
Quote: Originally Posted by Suntory_Times I think the best way to describe the HD580/600 is it may not sound all that fnacy at first, but it does very little wrong, which makes it a terrific headphone. It is. Really good for stress free late night listening.
1. Fostex T50RP - modded 2. Fostex T20v2 - modded 3. HD580 (nice general character, nothing outstanding, but good balance) 4. RE0 5. Quart Phone 85 (excellent in some areas) 6. DT990 - 600ohm '80's model (excellent in other areas - about equal rating to the QP85s) 7. Technics EAH 810 - modded, needs more work, could climb. 8. Portapros 9. HD424 11. AKG K140
Oooooh, that looks interesting! This I will watch with great interest.