Posts by lecky

Ah, sorry for confusing the matter...
I have some DT990 pro 250 ohm, bought after 05 makes them 05 model I guess? I don't have 880s or any other comparable price cans and have only a little experience hearing nice cans, so what I can add is strictly limited. I have lots of hours on the 990s - maybe more than 1000. I plugged my 990s directly into my macbook pro and used Audio Test to play some frequencies. I was expecting a bass bump and perhaps the same in the highs, but there was no bump discernible at all...
You might possibly consider DT990 pros - they're sold as open cans but they leak a lot less than most, there's a lot of padding behind the drivers that makes them more semi-open. Isolation is also somewhere in the middle, not great but not bad. They can be had for about £120. I'd always assumed mine to be bass and treble heavy but when used AudioTest to play some frequencies though them I found that they are really quite flat - well balanced. Sound stage is...
I just got some portapros through the post and of course out of the box and without burn in the bass bloat is nasty and anything else in not discernible. I put the large c-jay pads on the portapros, just over the stock pads and immediately even without burn in they sound quite balanced and pleasant (really not far off the sound of the DT990's, obviously without the level of detail) - really something.
Ha ha, sorry...
I've got about 120 hours on mine now. The detail of the mid highs is getting clearer, and what was an unbearable mess of that Bassie track I mentioned is now quite listenable if not fantastic fun. I plugged them into my macbook pro and listened to some frequencies generated by AudioTest and by listening compared the c-jays with mid sized pads on to the Beyerdynamic 990 pros. The Beyer sounds fairly flat all the way up and down. The c-jays are far from that. c-jays pick up...
I tried the Px200 in a store playing straight from an ipod a while ago, didn't find it remotely as convincing as the c-jays are already, in fact I tried them and moved on... That said, I'm nearly 48 hours into burn in and the complex high mids that predominate in 'Kid From Red Bank' on Atomic Basie still aren't resolving properly (getting better, but still not there), Maria Callas ain't too nice either yet, and I suspect the Sens wouldn't be so picky out of the box, but...
My fist post here, what brings me here: I joined up ages ago and didn't keep a habit of it, but recently I got an itch and this place is certainly the place to help scratch it! My headphone history: I got some DT990 pros a few years back because they provided the most bang for the buck of what I could try - with a basic cmoy they're pretty nice, and I used them for a while as my out and about cans, but they are a bit ridiculous for that. They're heavy and big, the weight...