Posts by lecky

The problem of what constitutes neutral is one with which this forum is vexed, since the recordings we listen to and by which we judge our gear are not neutrally mastered (at best they are limited by mic technology)  and since most people like the idea of neutral - without imparting artificial emphases - but like the reality less, preferring all sorts of artificial emphases, from emphatic treble that gives a feeling of enhanced detail, to bloated sound-stages or...
It's not quite as simple as an interbreeding of M2 and RE-0 characteristics.   Both the M2 and RE-0 have more assertive trebles than the M3, the M2 has excess bass which spreads over the mids and the RE-0 is light on bass whereas the M3 has a good healthy bass that sounds fairly much natural, but is absolutely there for the fun when the recording calls for it. Detail and texture are more evident with RE-0s in the way that is flattering but a bit hyper-real, artificial,...
The differences between the M2 and M3 are not subtle and they may appeal to different buyers, so you need to work out if you're interested in the virtues of the M3 as opposed to your M2. I think the M3s are well worth the $.
That's an excellent review, and a really good reflection of the M3s. I should write a full review soon, but much of it will be along very similar lines to yours.
The lightness of them is probably part of what makes them very comfortable. No comfort or fit issues for me. The plastic from which they're made isn't very sexy, but it works well enough and there's no obvious reason to believe that they won't be strong enough to last.  
I don't listen to much of any of this, but I've taken a bit of time to listen with both the M2 and M3:   With Trance and Electronica the M2 delivers a less atmospheric, more in your head sound but with that bigger bass and more emphatic treble, M2 feels more energetic, I prefer the M3 a bit, primarily for me this music needs to be more out of my head than the M2 can deliver, even more so if the bass and treble are going to kick like they do, but could imagine many would...
Brendon, I agree that they're really nice unamped, anyone could buy these without feeling that they need to amp them, I'll use them on the go with an ipod unamped and I'll be very happy with that.   Of course there's lots in the mix of what an amp brings in colouration as well as the effects of power, so perhaps amping won't help in every situation. What my amp (the headphone out of a Cyrus One - reasonable quality and very powerful, but not many people will know its...
Most of Faheems observations are easy to relate to the M3 and M2. I absolutely prefer the M3 over the M2 - the M2 is really fun for non acoustic music, but too coloured, with a bass that blurs over the mids making it of little use for any acoustic music. I actually prefer the M3 to my RE-0 now. The RE-0 has a bit of an over emphatic treble - high hats on lots of jazz records come right to the front in a way that wrecks many recordings, and otherwise makes them very...
I think that burn-in is improving these things.   Apart from that they're responding very well to amplification. Since they're quite easy to get good volume from they might seem as if good amping would help, but most of the slight lack of control in the mids are gone with sufficient amping.
Looks like you found something really good.   I have some super cheap headphones of a very similar design that with some modding are really very good indeed. I suspect that they may be variations from the same factory. The ones you have seem to be a big improvement on mine as a base, for instance the backs seem a lot more open on yours.   If you're OK to reduce the bass a little and give it a lot more control and at the same time make the soundstage larger then...