Posts by lecky

My concern in 'upgrading' the cable is that that the beta v2 as it is doesn't transmit quite as much cable noise as some, and I would consider a thicker cable that transmits more rustle to your ears to be a downgrade.   I'm so in love with these earphones. I've been listening to a lot of symphonic classical music, and they handle it with such style. I'm on about 60+ hours now, with 10 or 20 more hours I'll write my thoughts more fully.
Haven't heard any sibilance with hip hop so far...
I think that the new Brainwavz Betas should be a contender - they're fairly neutral, so they're usable across many genres, but certainly not boring, with a well extended bass. I'm listening to Sympathy for the Devil on mine now, sounds great.   They can be sibilant, but only very occasionaly with horrific, hot recordings - if you're a Britney Spears fan, they're not for you (I'm not, I was just testing them with varied material).   They're too new to really have...
They're really nice, and do improve significantly with burn in (so far, I'm at about 25 hours). Amazing value.
I've got mine now with a few hours of burn in (not enough to draw any conclusions). So far so good, I like the warm signature, lots of genres sound good with them. I listened to some frequency sweeps using the comply tips, and there were no really nasty surprises, they're fairly flat, a slight peak at around 7000hz (very little), and perhaps a bit up below 300hz, they go down low, but if I can hear noise from them at 16hz it means that there are secondary frequencies...
I tried these cans fairly briefly in a noisy shop with unfamiliar music and a hidden source and amp, and with the time pressure of my wife and daughter waiting (ie - take these impressions with a pinch of salt), but what I could garner is that they seem really very good at the price - they gave the impression of being well balanced - perhaps a little on the warm side of neutral, bass didn't seem overly emphatic nor weak, treble is not overly bright, about right for my...
They're a really good sounding ortho requiring little or no mods, I've heard them and liked them very much. Some rate them as the best unmodded of the vintage orthos, for me they're close second. You did well. You'll want plenty of power to drive them well. 
I'll just add my experience of amping HD580 (essentially a HD600) on the cheap. I was recently given a 1980's mid level Yamaha amp and found the headphone out to combine really excellently with the 580s, the headphone stage is transformer coupled to the amp and provides plenty of power - the added control gives lots of added detail across frequencies and, a good, precise sound stage, the sound is not veiled to my ears with this amp (the best I've heard the 580s actually-...
I've heard both, but on different occasions and not in depth. They were my favourite headphones at the respective meets where I heard them. I couldn't begin to offer a comparison sadly.
Hi Typhoon, the M3 has less treble than the M2. M3's a little on the dark side, but not bad at all for most music, if you listen to violin concertos it is apparent in a lack of sparkle that can be heard very easily with a side by side comparison to, say, a well amped HD600. However on its own the balance never sounds emphatically unnatural to me in the way that the M2 can with some music. Good levels of detail can be heard in the treble and they're more forgiving of over...