Posts by Dept_of_Alchemy

I'll be posting the power tube reviews shortly, just waiting for the gold Russian tubes to arrive. =)  
Thank you for your kind words. Looking at their data sheets, the stock 6N6P tube draws 750mA compare to the 6H30Pi which draws 850mA heater current, which is not much of a difference. Empirically I never noticed a volume difference between the two (I'm using matched Novosibirsk 6H6P-I in my amp which sounds good with my 300ohm Sennheisers). To get the most volume have you tried setting the jumpers to their highest gain setting (off/off)? I think the jumper settings would...
Check out these 6J1 driver tube rolling reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide#post_7625993  
  5. CONCLUSION   5.1 Can’t Decide Which Tube to Buy?   To Little Dot’s credit, their Mk-series amps have an impressive number of tube rolling options and there are more than a few very informative threads dedicated to this topic.  I would recommend anybody interested in upgrading their stock tubes to take advantage of our collective knowledge and take a look at those threads.  Occasionally I have received PMs from new members who are overwhelmed by the sheer...
  4. POWER TUBES   4.1 Overview   The power tubes reviewed in this guide only applies to the current production Mk series amps. Unlike their impressive flexibility with signal tubes, most current production Little Dot amps can only accept 6N6/6H6P power tubes with the exception of the MkIV which can accept the 6H30Pi (for clarification refer to this chart).  It is important for the longevity and performance of your amp that the power tubes you use are matched...
  3. EF95 FAMILY   3.1 Overview   The EF95 family is the most versatile and widely available of the three families of tubes reviewed in this guide. I recommend beginning users to start tube rolling within this family because it has the most variety of manufacturers and models to choose from, and gives you the most sound for your money (particularly starting with the 6ZH1P-EV). Little Dot Mk-series amps are factory configured to use this family and the Darkvoice...
  2. EF92 Family     2.1 Overview   The EF92 family tends towards a more neutral sound with an emphasis on great vocal presentation, but the sound quality can vary wildly between different manufacturers. This is the only family of driver tubes that can be used on the older (out of production) LDII+ and LDII++ models (see List of LD Amps).   Also known as: EF92, 6CQ6, CV131, M8161, 6065, W77, V884, VP6, 6F21, 9D6   2.2 Ediswan EF92   One of my...
  1.EF91 FAMILY   1.1 Overview   Known for its linear and extended presentation in the top-end but sometimes suffering from ‘boombox’ bass, the EF91 family of signal tubes is a great choice for jazz aficionados looking for that crystal-clear treble and who prefer (or do not mind) looser-than-neutral bass. The EF91 draws significantly more current (300mA) compared to the EF92 (200mA) and EF95 (175mA) families and therefore tends to run hotter as a result. When...
Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide   A quick introduction: Who is this guide for? (plus some background)   When I purchased my first Little Dot amplifier in 2005 I was in a position many of you are in now.  I was new to high end headphones, and curious about the ‘tube’ sound. Being a student at the time I wasn’t in the financial league to afford a high end tube amp, and I began to look for the best “bang for the buck” I could find in an intro level...