Posts by PolkManiac

I'm sure the M-100 will be a great headphone and I will be in on the PP run, but there's just no way they're going to sound as good coming straight off an iPod.  They will compete (and may be better who knows) with the PSB in passive mode, but I don't see how they can possibly be on par when running off an iPod and using the PSBs in Active mode.   So this really boils down to what you're after.  If you want the absolute best sound you can get plugging your headphone into...
It could very well be the setup that's producing that effect then.  It may be the DAC inside the iPod that's 'glossing over' some of the edges.  Since I don't really have a way of testing the PSB on the Peachtree it's not possible for me to validate that at the moment.
I don't have a really good headphone amp that I can use to test passive mode on these.  The Valhalla is very nice, but doesn't play well with low impedence headphones so I didn't even bother hooking them up to that.    In passive mode right off an iPod they are good, but the output is obviously weaker and sound not as full as wehn in amped mode.  I don't see myself ever really using them in that configuration and would not recommend this as the ideal use.  I also plugged...
I would say the NC on these is average, obviously not as good as the Bose but better than a few of the other models I've tried.  You do lose some sound quality with the NC turned on though, so that's something to consider.  
I finally had some time to sit down and compare these with m desktop setup, and the results are shocking.   Let me start by saying that out of my desktop cans (Senn HD600, HD700, HD800, Beyer DT880) the oldest and cheapest HD600 are actually my favorite.  They're not 'the best' of the bunch, that award would probably go to the HD800, but they're my favorite.  They're not as refined as the other cans (except maybe the 650) but I really like their general disposition,...
You just have to decide how you want to run the setup. If you want to run a true portable setup with no extra amp then the amp in the headphones works very well. If you want to run them off a desktop amp then make sure they are in passive mode. You do not want to run them on an amp and use the one in the headphones. As for which setup sounds better you have to decide for yourself. I run them using the built in amp and think they sound superb, and am not inclined to...
I'm waiting with everyone else for the M-100 to come out.  I'll be snatching up a pair of those as soon as I can get my hands on some.
Amazon sells used items through their Amazon Warehouse site.  I've purchased several things that way and have had excellent results.  And even if you have an issue they'll take care of it.
I can't comment on the M-100 since I haven't heard it, but will comment on what I've compared these with.  What I am (was) after is a pair of headphones that sound good, can be driven from an iPod and have a sealed design.  I don't need noise cancellation, I just want to be able to wear these in the office without everyone hearing what I'm listening to.   So based on those criteria I tried out a whole bunch of smaller on ear headphones (I'll spare you all those...
I finally got these burned in and theses are a truly fantastic sounding headphone. I can't add much to what's already been said, but put me down as a very satisfied customer. .