or Connect

Posts by chrismini

A good place to start would be Holst: The Planets. Not only is it a wonder to listen to, this piece will test your gear for flaws you may not know exist. The first track "Mars" will give your low end a good test to see if perhaps your system is lacking in that area. Look, I'm a rock n' roll guy from the start. Another audiophile who's opinion I trust turned me on to how wonderful and taxing classical music can be. Taxing my system to see where it needs improvement. If you...
Tommy the movie was horrible. I saw The Who perform Quadrophenia in 1997 from beginning to end and they rocked for 2 hours. It was a great show Peter has carpal tunnel syndrome and he can't play like he used to. He mainly used an Ovation and banged out chords. He also has tinnitus fro years of standing in front of Hi-Watt amps for 40 years. His brother Simon did most of the difficult picking and Ringo Starr's brother Zak Starky played drums. There were appearances by Billy...
No band or performer has been able to hit a grand slam trough out their career. Is Bob Dylan still putting out records like he did in the 60's and early 70's? Same with the following performers: Yes, Genesis, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Talking Heads, Bruce Springsteen, King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, The Police, U2. Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Roger Waters, Ryan Adams, Monster Magnet, Wilco/Jeff Tweedy, Alice Cooper, Supertramp, Steely Dan, etc.   Band that are...
The Who over rated? Pink Floyd before or after Roger Waters? You sir are an idiot with lousy taste in music. A brain dead moron with too much wax in your ears who probably uses Bose "Noise Cancel ling" headphones who's primary amplification is an antiquated iPhone. Let me ask you this oh tone deaf one. What are you top favorite bands/performers? Duran Duran, Nickel back, Tom Jones, The Bee Gees, Cher, Alien Sex Fiend, John Denver, The Osmonds, Weird Al, etc.   And if you...
I used AKG K702's for years. They are a great HP, but I wanted to invest in another HP that would really make a difference in overall sound quality. Why invest in another dynamic HP when my goal was to really shake thing's up? HeadRoom had HiFiMAN had HE-400's for $300 on account the line was being discontinued for HE-400i and HE-400s' So I took the plunge and bought the HE-400's. So they are a bit heavy and Inefficient? These were for home use and I had an amp with plenty...
Thank you. That's the best advice I've received so far. With my 8 year old $300 adaptive USB DAC, (HeadRoom Micro) I will be surprised if I hear enough improvement to reformat over 5000 songs. Plus everything was ripped off Redbook CD (16/44.1) format. Plus my 'phones are HiFiMAN HE-400's which are very nice, but not exactly Sennheiser HD-800S's. Best, Chris
Also from the research I've done, the "work" a CPU has to do to "unzip" an ALAC or FLAC to the original files data is less than minimal. CPU's aren't the issue. It's whether or not lossless files have the same fidelity as an uncompressed file would have. My guess is that if you did a double blind, no none would notice. Well I guess if you had a $50,000 dCS DAC you might. Of course in that level of hi-end audio I wouldn't have that kind of money invested in digital audio....
Nice!
Yeah, because I'm so lonely...
To be honest I've never heard Hi-Def as, like I said, my 7 year old DAC won't process. When I've put together 5 large and can afford a Hi-Def DAC, I'll get back to you. Meanwhile I enjoy and am satisfied with the sound I have and isn't that what this hobby/passion is all about? Too many "audiophiles"get caught up who has the best, meaning the most expensive gear and forget it's all about the music. Would I rather have a $20,000 headphone rig? Sure. Would I rather have a...