or Connect

Posts by chrismini

Thank you. That's the best advice I've received so far. With my 8 year old $300 adaptive USB DAC, (HeadRoom Micro) I will be surprised if I hear enough improvement to reformat over 5000 songs. Plus everything was ripped off Redbook CD (16/44.1) format. Plus my 'phones are HiFiMAN HE-400's which are very nice, but not exactly Sennheiser HD-800S's. Best, Chris
Also from the research I've done, the "work" a CPU has to do to "unzip" an ALAC or FLAC to the original files data is less than minimal. CPU's aren't the issue. It's whether or not lossless files have the same fidelity as an uncompressed file would have. My guess is that if you did a double blind, no none would notice. Well I guess if you had a $50,000 dCS DAC you might. Of course in that level of hi-end audio I wouldn't have that kind of money invested in digital audio....
Nice!
Yeah, because I'm so lonely...
To be honest I've never heard Hi-Def as, like I said, my 7 year old DAC won't process. When I've put together 5 large and can afford a Hi-Def DAC, I'll get back to you. Meanwhile I enjoy and am satisfied with the sound I have and isn't that what this hobby/passion is all about? Too many "audiophiles"get caught up who has the best, meaning the most expensive gear and forget it's all about the music. Would I rather have a $20,000 headphone rig? Sure. Would I rather have a...
You guys are missing the point. I have over 5000 files 90% which are ALAC because I owned a G5 iMac when I first got started. All my files are CD Red book meaning 16/44.1. Good old CD quality. My HD was 300GB. Didn't have the room for AIFF. Well that was 6 years ago. TB HD's were expensive. Now they're not. If I convert my ALAC's to AIFF's will I get the same quality as if I ripped AIFF's straight from the CD in the first place? Foobar plays ALAC just as well as FLAC in...
Hello, Sorry to disagree with you you but AIFF files are NOT compressed at all. They are windows version of WAV files. The controversy is do ALAC sound as good as AIFF or FLAC as good as WAVs. Being that disc space is so cheap (A 1TB hard drive can hold 2000 CD's) should any  compression be used at all. Some people believe they are giving your CPU more work unzipping compressed files. However the amount of "work" a CPU has to do to uncompress a ALAC or FLAC is almost...
Oh and what would be the best Windows program to do this with? I know Mac user have Max. Is there any windows programs that would be comparable? Thanks again.
Hello all, Question: If you rip a ALAC file and decide to convert to an AIFF file, will there be any loss in fidelity? Will it sound as good a an AIFF straight from the CD? Thanks.
Never mind