Posts by Mjolnir125

My O2/ODAC has no issues driving my K702 with any song I have (even very quiet high DR tracks). I have the Mayflower O2 amp which I believe has 2.5x gain for the low setting and 6.5x or so gain for the high setting. On high gain with max PC volume (using the ODAC) there is a lot of clipping which is to be expected, since the high gain setting is actually only for using the line in, and not the ODAC. The high gain is for quieter sources, not harder to drive headphones.
The 037974 is specified as the official sennheiser part number for the HD 540 II cable, but I don't know if it is the same as the original cable, or just one that works for all the headphones of that era (like the 250 II). It is the cable that I got from sennheiser, but I have no idea if it is actually "oxygen free" because IIRC the sennheiser product description also claimed it was kevlar, which it obviously isn't (it's just a normal cable).
  That is all just "soundstage" talk; it doesn't have a bearing on games in my experience... The soundstage on the K702 is "large" (whatever that means qualitatively), but it doesn't mean that in game sounds will sound like they are too far away; it just means music doesn't seem like it is coming from inside your head when you listen to it. The K702 do sound "thin" compared to other headphones, but you get used to it and it is partly because other headphones have emphasis...
I don't think I have ever picked up a pair of headphones and listened to them and though "these sound the same as what I was using before." A new pair might not be better than what I was using, but they always sound noticeably different to me...   The K612 measure pretty flat, but they should still sound different than other headphones.
I haven't used the 990s but I use the K702's for gaming all the time in games where directional audio is super important (multiplayer games with lots of dogfighting, which requires hearing where the enemy is in 3D space). I am not sure the Q701 would really offer anything over the K702 for your use since they are almost the same headphone, but the Q701 has the annoying headband bumps and the K702 does not. The AKG's have a very spacious soundstage. Not having used the...
You may have already figured this out since you ordered it 2 weeks ago, but I am pretty sure that won't fit over the lower headband, and if it does fit enough for the snaps to work it will probably interfere with the auto adjust of the headband.
If anyone has any totally electronically broken HD540 II driver units let me know; I need to replace those plastic inserts that have the cloth/paper backing on them but I can't seem to replicate the paper the original units use (the closest paper I have tried is too sealing). All I need is that plastic driver cover with paper backing, since my actual driver units work fine.
So what have people decided with regards to which currently available sennheiser earpads produce the best sound for the reference II? Is it the HD430 pads?   Also does anyone have a source for those contact springs? I am thinking they might be the same kind as those in the HD580 onward, but I am not sure and I don't know how to get those ones either...
I would try the "spare parts" guy listed here:http://www.akg.com/Technical+Support-995.html I believe he is new; Frank Rodriguez used to be the parts guy but he apparently has been replaced by Marlon Gonzalez. I know people used to buy spare earpads (like the K702 65th memory foam ones) directly through Frank Rodriguez when he was there, so it stands to reason you should be able to buy things from the new guy as well. I bet he will have the headband from all of the current...
Did you email the spare parts department? If anyone was going to know, it would be them...