Posts by newton2105

Listening to my newly arrived Amperex Ecc88 Bugle Boy logo right now.    WOW.
I own the RE-400s.  Arguably the best bargain in the IEM world at $99.  You get incredibly good sound quality for what you pay, but then again this is true of many of Hifiman's headphones.   You get a lot of different tips with it, and they have a nice small profile that makes them fit quite well in the ear.   They are mostly neutral, but have a nice bit of warmth and excellent midrange.  Bass is definitely not powerful, but solid and controlled.     I would highly...
I will second the Hifiman RE-400 rec, which I currently own.  Absolutely superb for $99, and the pairs being sold on Amazon now come with a ton of extra tips of all sizes and shapes, including some foam Comply tips.     If you want something a little more fun and V-shaped for rock, look at the JVC HA-FXT90.  I had a pair of those and loved them.  Great for rock.  A rich, thick sound, but with very nice detail and timbre.  You can get them on Amazon for 90 bucks or less....
I've never heard the M50s but faced the same dilemma three years ago when I chose my 840s over them.     Your musical tastes seem pretty broad.  I will say that if you are a person who appreciates good vocals, then the Shures would suit you well as they have a sweet midrange/vocal region.  They have a good soungstage for a closed can, and they also have scaled up nicely on my Aune T1 amp/dac.   Both are good, highly respected headphones from good companies, so you...
My tube binge continues. Found a reputable seller on the bay who had a surplus of Amperex bugle boy logo tubes from the early 60s. Wanted 24 bucks a piece. The logos weren't mint so they were going for a discount. Was also bidding on a siemens e88cc but that got a bit too expensive. Man this is addicting. Can't wait to try some of these out.
Looks to be the Halo getter.
Ended up finding a seller on Ebay who had a bunch of leftover Amperex Orange Globe 6dj8s, tested at 1300 mhos.  He was selling them in pairs.  They were partially rubbed so he was selling them for cheap  ($17 bucks for a pair).  You could still read the date code of delta 7k1, which if I read correctly online means Herleen, Holland plant, November 1967, first week's production.     I don't really care about the faded lettering as long as they work nicely.   Man this...
Well, I didn't look closely enough.  Apparently the description on Ebay was "Phillips like" PCC88.  It was still made in the former Phillips Ei factory in Yugoslavia, just much later (1980s).  Oh well, it was cheap at 24 bucks for two.  I'll experiment and see how it goes.  I can always sell the extra one on Ebay later.
 Yeah, he was touting a Phillips PCC88 tube as a great deal, and a reviewer on there said it was a good match with the T1.  I was going to pull the trigger, but took a look on Ebay and found a very reputable and highly rated seller selling a pair of the same tube for 24.99 opening bid with free shipping.