Posts by newton2105

Mine have been good durability wise, but I completely agree on the comfort issue.  I definitely cannot wear them for more than an hour or so.  The velour pads and headband get a bit irritating.  I was thinking of picking a pair of those new Focus pads from Hifiman's store.  They look to be a bit more comfortable. To me, they are absolutely killer for their price.  Even crazier is that the HE-500 is now 499 on Amazon.  I actually like the older style and design, and I...
 Yeah, that made me a bit nervous with mine at first.  It's definitely a tight fit. Enjoying the hell out mine, though.  I swap between the stock Electro Harmonix tube, an Amperex orange globe, a Bugle Boy, and a really nice Ei tube from Yugoslavia.  Wonderful little desktop set-up.
Lost my pair of these last year when they fell out of my jacket somewhere.  Finally decided to get a new pair since my Hifiman Re-400s are getting a little boring.  Found one in like new condition (only the box was opened) on Amazon for 59 and Prime shipping too.  What a steal.  Can't wait to have a pair of these again.
Listening to my newly arrived Amperex Ecc88 Bugle Boy logo right now.    WOW.
I own the RE-400s.  Arguably the best bargain in the IEM world at $99.  You get incredibly good sound quality for what you pay, but then again this is true of many of Hifiman's headphones.   You get a lot of different tips with it, and they have a nice small profile that makes them fit quite well in the ear.   They are mostly neutral, but have a nice bit of warmth and excellent midrange.  Bass is definitely not powerful, but solid and controlled.     I would highly...
I will second the Hifiman RE-400 rec, which I currently own.  Absolutely superb for $99, and the pairs being sold on Amazon now come with a ton of extra tips of all sizes and shapes, including some foam Comply tips.     If you want something a little more fun and V-shaped for rock, look at the JVC HA-FXT90.  I had a pair of those and loved them.  Great for rock.  A rich, thick sound, but with very nice detail and timbre.  You can get them on Amazon for 90 bucks or less....
I've never heard the M50s but faced the same dilemma three years ago when I chose my 840s over them.     Your musical tastes seem pretty broad.  I will say that if you are a person who appreciates good vocals, then the Shures would suit you well as they have a sweet midrange/vocal region.  They have a good soungstage for a closed can, and they also have scaled up nicely on my Aune T1 amp/dac.   Both are good, highly respected headphones from good companies, so you...
My tube binge continues. Found a reputable seller on the bay who had a surplus of Amperex bugle boy logo tubes from the early 60s. Wanted 24 bucks a piece. The logos weren't mint so they were going for a discount. Was also bidding on a siemens e88cc but that got a bit too expensive. Man this is addicting. Can't wait to try some of these out.
Looks to be the Halo getter.