Posts by Tgtr0660

I can't be any happier with my Asgard 2. 
Quite the opposite experience in some ways with me. I mostly listen to classical music. My HD650s were bassy, foggy, clear but unremarkable. When I initially purchased my ATH-W5000 (I needed closed back headphones) and tried them I was put away by how dry they sounded and how moderate, even absent the bass was. With time, not only did I get used to its sound but I grew to love the detailed mids (overtly so at times) and the pretty good soundstage for a closed set. The bass...
I just received my Asgard 2 on Tuesday. I can't believe I only paid 249$ (plus shipping) for such an amazing device. Everything from its looks to its fantastic build quality scream "way more than 249$" to me. And the sound.... even though they are meant to be portable, my Beyerdynamic T5ps benefited enormously from it, sound much deeper, much more separation and clarity. Amazing amp. Schiit makes some great schiit so consider me subscribed to this thread too. 
All headphones. My speakers end up being mostly for movies, games and tv. The dedicated serious music-listening happens in my bedroom with my headphones. 
I want one day to have a set of Stax Omegas, either the 007 or the 009. I have to say I'm not too sure I'll ever be able to afford the 009 with the type of equipment it needs. Two questions:    1. Is it THAT much better than the 007?  2. Do you REALLY need a 5000$+ amp to make it work? What about Stax 2000 offerings? 
I wonder if there ever has been someone who actually started loving equipment before the music itself. No matter how much you can love hifi equipment, it's still useless and dead without music playing through it. I don't think it possible that someone said "Oh how beautiful that amplifier and those speakers are! I'm going to research about them and see what they can do!" Everyone started loving music, in higher or lower degrees, good or bad, but this was the starting...
Of course they won't, they are open. I know the OP wants open headphones to be able to hear environmental noises and keep out of danger but he will have to accept an almost complete lack of isolation. 
Grado has a long list of open headphones which come in different prices, some close to your target, and that could help you avoid death. . Check them out.    The fold ability might be a problem though...  
I'm not an audiophile, (don;t have the money to be a high-end one) I'm kind of new to this, but to answer your question: I bought my first head-fi-worthy headphones (the HD650) about 2 years ago. By then I already had over 1500 cds of classical music in my collection and a good amount of other genres especially progressive rock and metal. And I had tv speakers as my speakers.... So it started with the MUSIC and it still is about the music.    Now I have a somewhat more...
Well I currently own 4 but I will list 5 headphones in my list since I owned it for a long time and just this weekend I gave it away to a family member who needs some head-fi introduction/education.    1. Beyerdynamic T5p - amazing, perfect for my closed-headphone needs. Very detailed, warm, good imaging, great soundstage for a closed headphone (the depth is fantastic, all orchestral layers and textures clearly positioned, incredible with well recorded baroque...